1981 GMC Caballero

Status
Not open for further replies.

81 Caballero

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 24, 2021
Hi, I just purchased a 1981 GMC Caballero. It is a 3.8 base model. Is it an A body or a G body? Thanks!

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Hi, I just purchased a 1981 GMC Caballero. It is a 3.8 base model. Is it an A body or a G body? Thanks!
Definitely, no question a Gbody only the first couple years GM was confused and labeled them As I’ve got a 79 Elco and I’ve ALWAYS bought everything G body

Reactions: 1 user

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
81 Caballero, welcome to GBF from Seattle, Wa. with a '78 Caballero and a '79 El Camino.
It seems that "technically", if my understanding is correct, that a '78-81 is considered an Abody, and '82-87 is Gbody. I don't know if it is because they went totally metric, or for another reason, but when ordering parts online, parts are typically listed as A/Gbody. So it seems that there is only a minor, or technical difference between them.

Reactions: 2 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
81 Caballero, welcome to GBF from Seattle, Wa. with a '78 Caballero and a '79 El Camino.
It seems that "technically", if my understanding is correct, that a '78-81 is considered an Abody, and '82-87 is Gbody. I don't know if it is because they went totally metric, or for another reason, but when ordering parts online, parts are typically listed as A/Gbody. So it seems that there is only a minor, or technical difference between them.
It was the FWD A's that came out in '82 which were ment to replace the RWD A's. Some how the bean counters allowed both A platforms to be produced at the same time. So for a solution to not have 2 A's they decided to make the RWD's G which was used for the '69-'72 Grand Prix even though it was a A with an extended wheel base. There might be a better story but this is how I understand it. Side note: back when I was working for the body shop supply place I found old PPG literature for '82 that still listed the RWD's A & the new FWD's G. Wish I would of grabbed a few back then.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 3 users

81 Caballero

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 24, 2021
Definitely, no question a Gbody only the first couple years GM was confused and labeled them As I’ve got a 79 Elco and I’ve ALWAYS bought everything G body
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it!…. I’m wanting to replace the brake system with new rotors,calipers,hoses. And also rebuild the suspension. with new a-arms but I’m just worried I’m going to order everything for a G Body and it doesn’t fit.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
pagrunt is correct. With an 81, if you can TRY to order stuff for an 81 A-body, do that. It's not that G-body stuff won't work, as most all of it will, but there's little stupid things that changed from 81 to 82. As was mentioned, more metrics stuff started showing up. For example, 81's used SAE wheel stud threads and lug nuts. In 1982, they went to metric. So if you get generic front rotors from NAPA for instance, you have to check if it's metric studs or SAE. Because your factory lug nuts won't fit metrics. Unless you're going to get new metric lug nuts to match.

G-bodies are full of metric/SAE mix and match surprises when you first start working with them.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor