1981 Grand Prix lj v6 no start

Status
Not open for further replies.

95Rolla

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 12, 2020
Ok so I arked the back of the alternator while doing some work on it. Yeah I forgot to disconnect the battery 🙄. And now the car won't start ran through all fuses nothing is bad. Has spark has fuel and now I'm stuck it just turns over. It's not flooded. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

Attachments

• IMG_20200110_003817263.jpg
    IMG_20200110_003817263.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 268

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Check the fuseable links by the starter. Maybe.

Reactions: 2 users

buick7332

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2014
N.E. Philadelphia area
Ok so I arked the back of the alternator while doing some work on it. Yeah I forgot to disconnect the battery 🙄. And now the car won't start ran through all fuses nothing is bad. Has spark has fuel and now I'm stuck it just turns over. It's not flooded. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance
I would get rid of the buick motor and get yourself a nice v-8 Pontiac motor

• Optimistic
Reactions: 3 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I would get rid of the buick motor and get yourself a nice v-8 Pontiac motor
Easiest swap would be a buick 350. but it being a GP, a mild pontiac 400 would be pretty damn nice.

• Disagree
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I've shorted the B stud on the alternator bad enough to shut down the car while working on it, it started right back up. I think your problem is just a coincidence and has nothing to do with shorting that connection. If it did cause any damage you'll notice a problem with the alternator when the engine starts. the fusible link is not like a fuse and takes alot more than what I did to burn it, your slight short had no effect on a fusible link

Last edited:

95Rolla

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 12, 2020
It arked on the air filter box which was sitting on the carb. Maybe it could have shorted something in the carb??? Changed plugs ,wires cap and rotor today got a lil better spark and it wanted to turn on but just wouldn't. I'm lost right now 😑

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor