1981 Malibu 2 door front shock replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toolman78

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 1, 2021
I am going to replace the front shocks on my 81 2 door Malibu when it’s home from storage. The top bolts don’t turn. Any tips to get them off? Also it is a v6 car with a 350 swap. Should I buy the v8 version of shocks or any recommendations? Thanks. Tim

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
The shocks are the same. The difference is whether you go performance or lowered. The nut usually rusts itself to the shock tip. what is hard to see is that there is an oval shape to the tip. You can find a professional tool (like a socket) cut for that shape (Lisle is one brand). you can also take a cutoff wheel and grind a hex into it for a box end wrench or socket. Use penetrating oil on that nut and on the bolt/clip nut combos in the control arm. The clip nuts are replaceable if you mangle one of them.

Toolman78

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 1, 2021
The shocks are the same. The difference is whether you go performance or lowered. The nut usually rusts itself to the shock tip. what is hard to see is that there is an oval shape to the tip. You can find a professional tool (like a socket) cut for that shape (Lisle is one brand). you can also take a cutoff wheel and grind a hex into it for a box end wrench or socket. Use penetrating oil on that nut and on the bolt/clip nut combos in the control arm. The clip nuts are replaceable if you mangle one of them.
Thanks. I’ll try getting the tool

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If you are not saving the shocks use a deep well socket on a long 3/8" extension and move it back and forth a couple times and it breaks off the stud below the nut.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor