1981 Malibu Classic 454 headers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shannon1978

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 29, 2016
Need to know what type of headers to use for this 454 swap having a hard time on what to use..... not looking to break the bank on headers. Any info would be great. Would block huggers work?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Need more of a for sure answer

Need more details on your set up?

Break the bank like what?

Hooker Super Comp G-body headers fit great, they have slip tubes.

2455s fit with some trimming or dents.

Chevellle/A-body headers fit with aftermarket upper A-arms and maybe a tube modified.

In the above link my car is in the pics with some smaller tube cheaper headers in place?

Street car or race car?
Have anfermarket dual exhaust crossmember?
Have stock heads with ports in the stock location?
Solid motor mounts?
Floor shift or column shift?
Kick out oil pan or deep oil pan?
Stock starter or mini starter?

What more intel do you need?

Reactions: 1 users

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
That is my thread linked above. The result is mentioned elsewhere (in my build thread), and seeing that link reminds me I ought to post the results in that thread for people like you who find that thread when searching.

At this exact moment, I am sitting in the Boston airport waiting for my connecting flight to start boarding. Later today when I'm at a computer rather than my phone, I'll update that thread.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
The Hooker 2241's fit well but as stated they do use slip tubes on a couple primary tubes where you have to use a high heat sealer.
The only modification with these is if you use a stock clamshell upper engine mount the driver's side will have to be notched.
I would avoid any "block hugger" style headers, the point of putting a big block in is to make power no stifle it by restricting the exhaust.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
I have now updated my thread which was linked above. I added the rest of the story to explain how I made my setup work (including photos), plus I listed all the other hardware I'm using so you'll know if my experience can apply to your car.

FYI

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor