1981 malibu lq4 swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcelboya

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 2, 2018
Hey guys,

heres my LS project

it started a few years ago when i bought a 75 nova to drop an LQ4 junk yard engine into, and through life had to sell the nova off but kept the engine around for a moment like this

It started with the purchase of my 1981 malibu in August. rolling shell, well patina'd but structurally wonderful. Old engine and trans were yanked already so perfect starting point
IMG_1109.JPG

finally stuffed her into a garage and started with the swap. heres the LQ4 engine we built.
The engine was yanked out of a junk yard on a 50% off day. we pulled it down and it was clean!! new rings, new bearings and a fast clean the rotating assembly was put together. I scored again on a 50% off day when a set of 243 heads were hanging out there. i had them rebuilt with z06 springs, added an ASA cam, and a GMPP carb manifold. i got the motor mounts from dirty dingo and everything was ready! Friends of mine got me the holley valve covers which are beautiful but do cause some install headaches!

IMG_1135.JPG

Next came the trans. i attached a mildly done 700r4. while i realize that the chances of explosion are high with the 6.0 in front of it, it was the choice made based on the no electronics. this LQ4 being an early one spaced the flex plate perfectly and it bolted together without a hitch! ready to drop into the car!
IMG_1205.JPG

Well i had a trip coming up to NY so i had a goal to at least get everything bolted into the car before i went.
IMG_1210.JPG

The engine dropped in perfectly! the headers we not designed for this car but the managed to squeeze in.
IMG_1212.JPG

After all of this it was off to NY!

Reactions: 8 users

mcelboya

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 2, 2018
once back from NY it was time to get everything sorted!!! i read a TON of info about LS swaps on this forums and others and i just followed my own formula.

because we had the truck accesories we just used those and made them fit. one thing that suprises me is that the LQ4 truck fan fits perfectly in the rad shroud including its spacing. i swapped out the PS pump for an astrovan pump which fits perfectly. we ran in the mean time a shorter belt since we didnt have PS lines made but it was perfect routing and no issues. some coolant and fuel and she was ready to fire.
IMG_1916.JPG

We used the MSD spark box which i think is excellent! on first fire it was precise and fired on seriously one rotation of the key

BGLU5059.JPG

after all that we ran it broke in the cam and let it do its first heat cycle.

heres the video

idling

i'll keep up to date with it here and answer any questions!

• Winner
Reactions: 9 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
That's awesome! Keep the updates coming!

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

mcelboya

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 2, 2018
hey guys just a fast update on my malibu. Finally took it for a swing around the block! does cool burn outs! here are some pics!

Is it really a first drive if you have the hood on?? No hoods No cares!
thumbnail_image2.jpg

The trans am wheels are nothing to brag about, but there is a baer big brake kit going on, and for 100$ for the whole set its hard to say no. they clear the brakes while giving some "better" tire options. im sure the wheels will change in spring. i did have to run a 1 inch spacer in the rear, but the fitment is great
thumbnail_image1.jpg

Last one for today. The fairmont is a Coyote Swapped manual car.
thumbnail_image4.jpg

HAPPY CHRISTMAS!

• Winner
Reactions: 9 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor