1981 malibu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malibu396

n00b
Sep 9, 2016
I have an 81 malibu with 396 big block with short valve covers. Wanting to make a full roller motor and needing to find a smaller diameter brake booster. Anyone have a good place to look or have a part number?

halfgassed

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 29, 2014
Not shure if they have g body ones but on my dads 67 impala build he used a small diameter booster from the right stuff detailing. Also I think cpp (classic performance products?) sells them also. Could always convert to a hydroboost unit too.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Does the car have a single or dual diaphragm booster on it now? The single diaphragm boosters are usually larger in diameter, but take up less space between the firewall and the brake master cylinder, while the dual diaphragm booster has a smaller diameter, but takes up a bit more space between the firewall and master cylinder. The '78-'88 A/G body cars were equipped with both styles of booster. If your Malibu has the single diaphragm unit, then maybe all you need to do is to find the dual diaphragm unit, to solve your problem.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I still have the stock dual diaphragm unit that came in my 83' Monte and have no clearance issues with my valve covers that are 3-3/4" tall.
But on the passenger side I had to put a notch in the heater case for clearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor