1981 Monte Carlo 5 V8 Redline?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 20, 2017
Hi im looking to find what the actual redline is for the stock 5 liter. Ive looked what seems to be everywhere and I cant find an answer for the stock motor. I am looking to get a new carb for an 81 im looking to buy today or tomorrow and im trying to do the cubic inch x redline equation and cant find the redline. Im guessing somewhere around 4500/5500 my 350 in my tahoe was about that. Thanks for any info you guys can give me. Also what are good carbs for a stock motor. Ive heard bad things about edlebrock and holley so im unsure. Thanks

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
4500 is the limit I'd say. The limit set by the factory, and the stock parts. Don't push it much over that.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Does it actually not have a rev limiter? its just your own control?
All engines have a built in rev limiter. It's called valve float.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Here is the rule of thumb. Figure out the piston speed in feet per minute. (stroke X max rpm you want to run,devided by 6) never go over 3500 feet per minute for stock engines, 4000 feet per minute for modified engines. Put a stock carb on it.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor