1981 Monte Carlo project

Status
Not open for further replies.

street sweeper

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2017
Central Indiana
Check to make sure your driveshaft is centered.

If it goes away over 55 your front tires may need balancing.
the vibration increases as speed increases. The local driveshaft shop apparently balances shafts for $50. I may have that done and see if i can find a place that road force balances tires. A coworker suggested considering the tires may be flat spotted from sitting.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

street sweeper

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2017
Central Indiana
winter was slow going. Went to move the car in feb, i believe and the front accelerator pump started leaking.

So starting last month i rebuilt my 4150 model holley carb, 800 cfm.

I picked up a set of bucket seats out of a cobalt SS. Bucket seat mounts.

Purchased a rear view mirror out of a HHR, auto dimming, map lights, and compass. Should be a fun wiring project getting that working.

Today i dropped the fuel tank because after running out of gas i was tired of not having a fuel gauge. I realized the sending unit that was in the tank was a 240-30 ohm, not the 0-90 like i was expecting. This explains why my fuel gauge was not working, believe i might have ruined the gauge since it is stuck on full even with nothing connected. I ordered a new tank, straps, strap pads, sending unit that is 0-90 ohm, and a 0-90 ohm gauge.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
winter was slow going. Went to move the car in feb, i believe and the front accelerator pump started leaking.

So starting last month i rebuilt my 4150 model holley carb, 800 cfm.

I picked up a set of bucket seats out of a cobalt SS. Bucket seat mounts.

Purchased a rear view mirror out of a HHR, auto dimming, map lights, and compass. Should be a fun wiring project getting that working.

Today i dropped the fuel tank because after running out of gas i was tired of not having a fuel gauge. I realized the sending unit that was in the tank was a 240-30 ohm, not the 0-90 like i was expecting. This explains why my fuel gauge was not working, believe i might have ruined the gauge since it is stuck on full even with nothing connected. I ordered a new tank, straps, strap pads, sending unit that is 0-90 ohm, and a 0-90 ohm gauge.
Ground the wire with the key on; the needle should drop to 'E'. I doubt you screwed up the gauge; the wiring would be more suspect, especially if "someone" put the wrong sending unit in.

street sweeper

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2017
Central Indiana
Ground the wire with the key on; the needle should drop to 'E'. I doubt you screwed up the gauge; the wiring would be more suspect, especially if "someone" put the wrong sending unit in.
Well the tank had been removed by the previous owner who put a 240-30 ohm unit in it. I only knew this because my fuel gauge never worked right and I had to manually measure the resistance output as the level changed.

I will try to see if I can get it to reset.

street sweeper

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2017
Central Indiana
Yesterday i received the new tank, straps, and sending unit. Summit sent me the right part number but wrong part for the straps??? So i was unable to install the tank. Customer service was helpful and sent me another set of straps.

I also received my new to me rear view mirror, It is out of a 2008-2010 HHR. It is auto dimming, has map lights and a compass. Does not fit the original mirror mount appropriately but with the use of a shim it is more sturdy than the original mirror. Plus my windshield needs replaced, ill just have the new style mount installed when i get a replacement.

Lastly I have never had use of either doors key cylinder to lock/unlock it, and the passenger side could not even be locked via the plunger inside the car. I removed both door cards to find my drivers door internal structure is cracked in multiple places and my passenger side door is rotted out right behind the bottom weather strip/seal, which prevented me from seeing it. Guess ill be keeping an eye out for doors.

always something with this car... Definitely been a learning experience and measure of my patience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor