1981 regal rework project

Status
Not open for further replies.

81regalxtreme

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 22, 2015
Alberta Canada
Hi all im new around these parts, joined about a week ago after i picked up a 1981 buick regal that looked like it was a good purchase due to the lower km rebuild 350 swap in it, well i go to get it running and the starter was pooched so i got it towed home lol, so as i was looking it over in the garage there was some bondo cracking off on both quarter panels, and the fact it sat out side over the winter at the previous owners while he was starting body repairs had me concerned about the condition of the bondo and the bare metal unuderneath. Well low and behold i found out some interesting stuff about it lol, so here are some pics of when i got it regal 1.jpg Regal2.jpg Regal3.jpg Regal4.jpg , so far it was alright in my books for $700cdn so i gladly handed over the money and came back a week later to bring it home.

81regalxtreme

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 22, 2015
Alberta Canada
I started by removing the starter as i was going to replace it but had the urge to learn body work more hands on since i havent really done anything as far as fixing up an older car in the body sense, im very mechanically inclined and being a welder by trade i thought learning this new skill would be very useful in the years to come. I started with gutting the interior as is my protocol for any new to me vehicle as to make sure floor pans and such are in good shape, these ones are ok for the most part but are starting to pit through nothing bigger than 2mm so i can patch those up easliy enough, when i took the side panels off i was in for a HUGE surprise as i found inside PS.jpg PS patch 2.jpg PS patch.jpg welded on roof.jpg it looks as if the roof was reattached from a donor car :O dented roof.jpg and not very nicely at that, so i decided to peel back all the bondo on the car and let me tell you i think there was 2 gallons on this thing lol stripped DS.jpg starting PS.jpg

Last edited:

81regalxtreme

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 22, 2015
Alberta Canada
I than proceeded to remove the entire front clip and rear clip as im planning on fixing the majority of the metal and apply minimal bondo so i can get it painted all of this done in the garage for low cost and high value to skill set learning, i know some ppl will say replace the quarters or that it might be to much but i figure if i can learn on this than all is easy afterwards hahah, anyways glad to be here and ill keep updated as i go, im leaving for France for a 2 week honeymoon todayt and thought i would get something established so i can just jump back in, thanks for looking/reading.

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
Well, you got some work to do for sure, but you seem to be equipped with the interest and enough skill set to get it done. Enjoy your honeymoon and keep us updated on progress

Flyers9928

G-Body Guru
Jul 30, 2014
South Central Pa
Looks light your on the right track

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Welcome to the site - Congratulations to you and your wife. Looks like you have your work cut out and not afraid to dig in. Being a welder you were being kind to who ever did the work. Wish you lived closer, I picked up an 86 T-type project that I bought for the frame that has a real nice shell. Good luck - keep use informed.

81regalxtreme

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 22, 2015
Alberta Canada
Hi all thought i update on this since its been awhile, France was very nice but Paris was pretty hectic since i guess its the most touristy spot lol, anyways i am planning on doing a LS swap in it now so i pulled the low km 350/th350 that were in it last night, i have all the parts for a LS2 already from an abandoned Jimmy project and a 4l60e in pieces with $1000 in parts sitting there just needs building as well, as far as the body work to date i got the driverside 1/4 stripped down and the vinyl rivot holes filled, and i started to put bondo on since there is no avoiding it(oh well) lol, regal starting bondo.jpg motor out.jpg motor on hoist.jpg now drive train is out i can clean it all up and cut my a/c delete panel from some diamond plate tool box lid i got sitting around :). anyways the weather is alittle colder for a few days and i got no heat in the garage so im holding off on more bondo work for now but i still got lots of prep work to do, thanks all for tuning in.

81regalxtreme

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 22, 2015
Alberta Canada
well yesterday was more productive than i thought, i got some more bondo done on the quarters not finished yet but making its shape, and today i removed a ton more bondo from the driver door and all i found under it is a small push in on the lower portion, easy fix once the door panel is off, seems like the last guy rather slap bondo on 1/2" thick instead of pulling a panel lol, anyways ill get more pics when progress is really being made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor