1982-88 Monte Carlo/El Camino Evaporator Kit Installation from Vintage Air

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSPbuilt

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2016
Cape Coral, FL
I'm glad that this exist. $2100 or so doesn't seem that bad.

It isn’t at all. I tried to piece together another kit from restomod air and it was well above that price but all the work to make it fit.
My only regret is not buying it when it was $1850
I emailed them and they can quote you a price with different brackets like in my case with brackets and a compressor for an LS.

Reactions: 1 user

Stumblebum

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 22, 2022
Ohio
Does anyone know if this kit will work with the '78-'80 Malibu/Monte Carlo dash?
I've got an '80(?) dash over here too. All the vent pieces appear to line up and fit. I don't have the early style center vent section to 100% verify though. Despite that the early style dashes stick out just a smidge more than later style, so you may have to modify something just a little. I'll let you guys figure that one out.

Attachments

• 20220611_200357.jpg
    20220611_200357.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 112
  • 20220611_200231.jpg
    20220611_200231.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 118
Reactions: 1 users

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Thanks to you both. I thought there might be a bit less room behind the earlier dash, since it doesn't appear to stick out as far on the passenger's side. I find it a bit odd as well, that Vintage Air lists that kit for '82 and newer Monte Carlo and El Camino, unless there is something different with these cars, starting in 1982, that I'm not aware of.

Reactions: 1 users

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Just to help people with information, I called Vintage Air today, and spoke to one of their technical guys. According to him, the reason why their kit is listed for 1982 and newer cars, is that they didn't have a vehicle that was older than 1982, to use to test the fitment of their kit on an older A/G body. So while their tech guy would not confirm that their kit will work on the older cars, in my opinion, I think it should be fine. I haven't placed an order yet (and I was told that right now, there's a 14-16 week lead time to fill orders for the complete kit), but I'm looking seriously at it.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
the reason why their kit is listed for 1982 and newer cars, is that they didn't have a vehicle that was older than 1982, to use to test the fitment of their kit on an older A/G body. So while their tech guy would not confirm that their kit will work on the older cars,
If the aftermarket custom car part manufacturer/supplier can't verify a part/kit can't fit cars of a platform generation dispite using a segment of years from that generation especially something that is common across the board they shouldn't be considered car guys. Dealing with anything that has been hot rodded over 20 years, the common fit knowlege should be known. Faith in Vintage Air should be low not knowing an '81 & '82 A/G are the same is insulting, worse that the know nothing of the generation life span of '78-'88. Don't like it when cars guys don't know cars.

Reactions: 2 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Looking at your pictures again it seems like the unit sits too far rearward BUT my car is a Cutlass. Did you mock up dash to make sure everything clears???

houston_t

Greasemonkey
Nov 15, 2016
Metro Detroit
Man I need this for my 79 its a factory non ac car.

SS Elco

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 3, 2017
I'm looking at installing this setup in my 85 Elky, mostly because I plan on putting in a 454 this winter and it will give me some underhood room. That plus I ripped out a lot of the OEM stuff a few years back. Does this setup still pull outside air in? I see you took your dash out which, no doubt makes it immensely easier. If I go that route I might as well replace the dash. Thanks for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor