1983 Big Block Monte Slow Build (Lowered Expectations)

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
This car has tubular upper and lower control arms in the front, I imagine they'll clear? I see that spring has a rate of 598#, sounds like a good compromise between ride and handling. What are folks running out back? Seems something in the 200 range should do the trick?

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Well, I'll say this about that: I have a Series 2/ 4L60e swap in a crew cab, currently running 5662s and want to go up to the 5664s. Out back are Eibach Pro Kits that dropped it too low, so there's a 1" spacer puck underneath. I drive it every day- HARD. It depends on your use and ride desires. That's why I recommended the "softer" spring.

Reactions: 1 user

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Crew cab? I'm not seeing a rate on the Eibach rears, but they do look progressive on the one pic I saw. How about these Afcos?

You can pick your rate and they're pretty cheap. Not as cheap as these Black Magics, are the rears single or double pigtail?

I have a pair of KYB fronts on the shelf, going to get rears to match. Initially my intent is to keep it comfy. I run 900/225 on my 93 Camaro so I envision 600 fronts being a good starting point and a 3:1 ratio is about as far as I'd want to go again, as a starting point. Springs and shocks can be pretty subjective. Of course this has to play nice with the sways, haven't measured yet but they look to be some form of stock.

Last edited:

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Crew cab? I'm not seeing a rate on the Eibach rears, but they do look progressive on the one pic I saw. How about these Afcos?

You can pick your rate and they're pretty cheap. Not as cheap as these Black Magics, are the rears single or double pigtail?

I have a pair of KYB fronts on the shelf, going to get rears to match. Initially my intent is to keep it comfy. I run 900/225 on my 93 Camaro so I envision 600 fronts being a good starting point and a 3:1 ratio is about as far as I'd want to go again, as a starting point. Springs and shocks can be pretty subjective. Of course this has to play nice with the sways, haven't measured yet but they look to be some form of stock.
You're way ahead of me. I'm just saying what I gots works pretty good. Do notch the control arms, though.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
This supports the spring rate Delta I'm targeting.

Then again, I'm basing this Delta on what my 4th gen likes. The 3rd gen is more similar to these cars in that it uses the same Moog springs, but differs with its unibody construction and Mac strut front. Who knows, in the end I may go with a big front bar and nothing out back.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Something struck me earlier: my Crown Victoria had 700# cop springs up front. I think I cut 3/4 of a coil off of those with some fresh Ford cop shocks and it still rode like a boat, so no reason for me to fear the 5662 or 5664.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor