1983 Big Block Monte Slow Build (Lowered Expectations)

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
You need to tuck those wires into a piece of loom after you heat shrink each wire. I can safely say I have 6-8 wires tucked under my brake booster as described above.

Out of sight, out of mind.

That's clean compared to the rest of the butchery! But yeah, gonna have to do something with them. The correctest answer would be to depin at the firewall if that's doable.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
That's clean compared to the rest of the butchery! But yeah, gonna have to do something with them. The correctest answer would be to depin at the firewall if that's doable.
If it's the computer wires just pull it all back into the interior from the passenger side toe board where the computer sat. After that you'll just need something to plug that hole.

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I repurpose that hole for EFI wiring. Mine had another 6-8 wires from the fuse panel on the driver side.

No matter, they aren’t needed once the CCC. Carb disappears - make them do the same.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
A computer should have a switched power wire. I can solder that to a random wire that's under the hood to run the choke if I don't find any others already there.
The choke was never part of the computer harness. It was tied into the oil warning light switch in the read of the block with a direct feed fuse in the very top right spot in the fuse box.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
The choke was never part of the computer harness. It was tied into the oil warning light switch in the read of the block with a direct feed fuse in the very top right spot in the fuse box.

What color is the wire? This fuse box wasn't under the hood, was it?

Edit: NM, this took me all of 2 seconds to find on the Google machine.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
What color is the wire? This fuse box wasn't under the hood, was it?
It'll be a brown wire that changes to brown/white at the firewall connector that (as from earlier postings that it was originally a V6) would of went to a wide open throttle relay, then to the switch itself. From the switch, a light blue one runs to the choke. There would of also been a third wire going to either the oil light-tan (warning light dash) or to the choke light-green/white (gauge dash).

Reactions: 2 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Looks like Standard Ignition PS126 is my Huckleberry?

Find that damn brown wire, pipe it into that, and split the output between the idiot light and the choke and I'm golden. There's no relays or anything under the hood, unless that WOT relay was inside the car.
That's the switch. That brown wire (brown/white engine side) will be adjacent to one of the main red (circuit 2) wires at the fire wall connector. Now note the there could be a chance it could be just brown under the hood as if the harness was swapped out from another car that was a V8. If you don't have the OE rubber socket, you'll want the choke wire & the warning light wire (if using a warning light) to share the same terminal on the switch.
This pdf diagram is from my '81 book that I had already scanned will show how it was under the hood which is similar to the '83. Circuit 250 is the choke fused feed from the fuse box, circuit 78 is the choke, circuit 31 is the warning light dash oil light, circuit 931 is the gauge dash choke (oil) warning light.

Attachments

• 1981 Chevy V8 V6 wiring.pdf
    662 KB · Views: 59

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor