1983 Bonneville Wagon 5.3L/4L60E

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoachFoust

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 8, 2015
Nebraska City, Ne
Hello all!

It's been about a year since I've posted anything here. I'm finally back to working on my Bonneville wagon. Since my last update, my thread died, so I have to start a new one...which is ok. Since my last post, I bought an 86 GP w/T-tops and my wife and I had twin boys (oops and double oops)!

I"ll get some pics up "soon."

Where I'm at today with the wagon...
  • 5.3L LS from a 107k mile GMC Sierra installed using Holley LS Swap Kit
  • (re)built 4L60E from parts unknown installed using Holley LS Swap Kit
  • hydraboost from a 1500HD
  • 8.5" GN rear
  • drive shaft is getting shortened and balanced as I type
  • trying to use the stock tank, sender, but a Walbro 255 pump.
  • using the stock radiator and stock AC condenser, but have a Sanden pump. I'll have to fab the AC lines. Looks like with a little trimming the 2003 Sierra upper/lower radiator hoses will fit.
My current road blocks...
  • Trying to find a lower mount for the AC condenser...this is stopping me from getting my radiator in.
  • Finding a new fuel sending unit...I guess wagons are special. I think my old one works, but I haven't tested it.
  • Gauges...I'm just not ready to get the gauges I want, yet. I want SpeedHut gauges, but they are pricey...but very cool. I've got a Painless 60650 box coming and I hope that it will take the data from the OBDII and I can make my stock Oil, Temp, and Volt gauges all work properly. If that works, I could get away with a new Speedo andTach. I'd like to add a trans temp gauge as well.
  • Tuning...but I have a source and plan for that!
The goal is that it'll be running and driving in a month...won't be finished, but able to run and drive!

I'll have more on this later...with pics, of course. Time to get back to work!

CoachFoust.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
For wagon fuel injection, try an Astro van sender from RockAuto.com. Choose a fuel pump based on output pressure, but I think the Camaro and truck pumps from the late 80s/early 90s drops right in with a little modification to the locating tang. Choose MPI vs TBI.
http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...028034,fuel+&+air,fuel+tank+sending+unit,4436

Your stock tank has no baffle to protect from starvation at low fuel levels. Holley released a product called HydraMat. Not cheap, but if one of the more modest designs can be grafted onto the pump pickup, this may be less hassle than figuring out how to cut open the tank and add a baffle. Coupe tanks can retrofit a Buick Regal tank, but us wagoneers are on our own.

https://static.summitracing.com/global/images/chartsguides/h/hly-0-4412ex_oh.pdf

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I'd recommend you read my build thread, been through most of this. Link is in the sig.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
The moderators can unlock your thread for you and probably move this info there. Just PM one of them. Looking forward to seeing the pics.

CoachFoust

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 8, 2015
Nebraska City, Ne
Thanks for the advice! When I get to my computer, I'll do all of those things. I'm looking forward to getting this thing rolling.

Reactions: 1 user

CoachFoust

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 8, 2015
Nebraska City, Ne
It’s been awhile, again...but the Bonn Evil is alive! I need to edit it down I guess to post...

CoachFoust

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 8, 2015
Nebraska City, Ne
IMG_0144.JPG
IMG_0145.JPG
IMG_0146.JPG

Obviously, there's still work to be done...tidy up wiring, finish the intake, put the hood on (make sure it fits), etc. But it runs and I hope to be on the road by the end of the month! I've said that a time or two...but this time it's for real!

Reactions: 3 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Looks like it belongs in there.

• Agree

CoachFoust

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 8, 2015
Nebraska City, Ne
Thank you. I was really going for a "factory" look. I'm just really hoping the hood will close. It should. Right now it runs...I have video, but it's too long to post. Next time I fire it up, I'll have to take a shorter video and post up. I don't want to run it much until all the gauges are hooked up, though. Hopefully, that'll be "soon." Since it's been at least two years since the car has moved under it's own power, I'm waiting to see what the next thing will be once it hits the road!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor