1983 Cutlass Calais “The Cripples Cruiser”

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Lower door panels have the Christmas trees in the sheer metal holes. There's a tiny Allen set screw holding the remote mirror joystick in. 2 screws in the armrest well, slide the armrest forward, and then remove 2 big Phillips. Manual windows have the little horseshoe clip holding the crank on. Then, there's Christmas trees in the cardboard. Slide the covers outboard on the grab handle, and there are 2 big Phillips head screws.

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
Lower door panels have the Christmas trees in the sheer metal holes. There's a tiny Allen set screw holding the remote mirror joystick in. 2 screws in the armrest well, slide the armrest forward, and then remove 2 big Phillips. Manual windows have the little horseshoe clip holding the crank on. Then, there's Christmas trees in the cardboard. Slide the covers outboard on the grab handle, and there are 2 big Phillips head screws.

Thanks for that I managed to figure it out though as is inevitable I broke some of those Christmas tree clips. Since I relocated my power window switches for my speakers or should I say will be relocating I just have to figure out how to secure them. They had the wood grain trim they were mounted too so I guess I’ll just let them hang until I figure it out but speaker didn’t come out too bad though unfortunately my cutoff wheel caught the fabric a bit on the first door.

2e60649f2abdaddc39dfe4ba621d60f1.jpg

The plastx did awesome
a9a3e17b0d9636787b1a29e80f2058fb.jpg

Can’t see it in this picture but I also did the clock plastic and it looks great too

6e8480bfd0d248e154b12faee32cbcd7.jpg

I originally was gonna use some alpine type r components I had but after mocking it up the tweeter and size of the speaker was going to be a pain. So I had these pioneers practically brand new. Didn’t even have to modify the metal of the door just cut a bigger square where the power window switch went and ran some screws in.

755fce5a40bcd42a9b6c42ce24035597.jpg

Doesn’t look like a million bucks but it will be functional and not look terrible so I’m not complaining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
Well test drove it and somehow I messed up with the speedo and it’s I think 7mph off now so I believe I have to pull it all apart. And then I need to reverse the polarity of the led bulb in the turn signal lights.

Day got better when my new wiper washer came in 2 days early then tried to replace it and the day got worse they sent me the way wrong parts. So I messaged the seller and am waiting on response

Also during driving I still have to be sure but I believe I experienced a 2-3 shift around 40ish but at 60 my rpm is still too high so I’m still at a loss.

29cbabf01eeccc72d1f392becd43441b.jpg
is my tach jumper soldered correctly for a v8?

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
So I worked on my speaker install because it sucks listening to music and making Bluetooth calls with one headphone I’m partially in it but time constraints suck and so does having to pretty much modify everything to do the install I want.

I have one door panel with the speaker installed thanks for the awesome idea from the forum here. No fiberglass needed and no need to cut the door either.

Started trying to make my 6x9s fit in the rear deck and quickly found that may be slightly challenging so I have to figure out how to massage and cut the metal without losing all my support back there and may have to buy a piece of flat steel after I’m done to weld or bolt in place to brace it because I do believe from reading it helps with body rigidity so I need to be careful.

I want to mount the 6x9s from the top because the package tray cover is so messed up I’d rather have the speaker grills visible so that will be quite the task.

Then in the dash I had extra brand new 5 1/4 coax sitting around and I’ve just sat one in just trying to figure out how to handle it because I lost the grills and without som very serious modifying to my mainly unmolested dash pad it doesn’t stand a chance fitting.

While I know from an SQ and soundstage perspective what I’m doing is stupid I don’t seem to hear well enough to notice the difference and would prefer the excess volume so while I appreciate the comments I may get about proper soundstage etc. it doesn’t matter to me. Still debating if I’m just going to use the speakers I have or actually grab some 3.5 for the dash since I personally don’t care about how the 5-1/4 look there.

Just want to get these speaker install finished but of course time is the enemy with a wife and 2.5 yr old and taking care of your disabled parents.

Made the mistake for a quick buy of getting metra speaker wire from advance luckily the manager took pity on me and took the return considering I couldn’t strip the damn wire all it would do was break.

1fd7dac2009311648fa17ff53b1b9f4f.jpg
cutoff wheel got a bit too squirrelly and ate some fabric

3402c083428e7fba4ba89c753ff791c9.jpg
doesn’t even come close to fitting but I’m tempted to run with it.

5591cdab1c9f99d8112aab1fba2c38d8.jpg
just have to figure out how to mount the window switch by the lock switch considering it screwed to a wood grain plate which is how it was mounted previously.

Still have to fix my speedo mistake, figure out why if I feel all the shifts my RPM is so high at 60, install my new thermostat, insulate my fuel like to stop my vapor lock or boiling, get my new throttle cable in the mail and install it, possible buy a new throttle cable bracket, wait for the eBay seller to fix their mistake so I can get my wipers working again, change my axle seals, get my new keys cut, figure out my pulley and bracket situation so power steering stops cutting out, check ac charge and pressures. Rotate my tires install my wheel spacers and check tire pressures.

Man what a list I have for myself and that’s just the right now things lol

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
Having fun yet?

Well if I had unlimited time absolutely I love nothing more than working on my car and fixing and modifying but I hate time constraints because I get so hyper focused. Me working on my car is like a compulsion.

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
Trico 11-516 I ordered on eBay is now installed it was actually super simple wipers and washer worked right away I’m glad to have an electric washer pump again the other design was so confusing. The delay isn’t working correctly yet but I’ll have to look into that though for now I’m just happy to have wiper and washer functions back. Still have to pull the cluster back apart and figure out what I did to make the odometer read wrong so I can fix that.

And then have to fix my interior light fuse I blew it trying to make an LED festoon bulb I had left over that was the wrong size work so wish me luck I don’t blow it again.

Got my new throttle cable and I’m thinking I probably ordered the wrong size based on looking at it but I hope not.

Hoping some of my excess cutlass stuff sells soon I need some room in my garage.

Hopefully today or tomorrow going to pick up a 83 307 for a cheap price that has all the accessory brackets and pulleys for a car with ac so I can squared my belts away. Supposedly the power steering pump that is on it is good so I may just use that so I don’t have to pull it and press it on to my pump. Just taking it easy since I’m sick and seeing if I can’t sweat out these dang germs

Reactions: 1 user

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
ba89645bb2763b02ad3725ed2d1bc471.jpg
d388616e92722ef8cfa5e4b411c95e95.jpg
9f6764a21071c7628ebb662a3b37016c.jpg
f816d8edc4d447be605dbf5c46acf0c7.jpg

Made my LED festoon I had left into one that works with the cutlass.

Fixed the odometer changed out most of the other interior bulbs for LED

Finished my speaker install and running the wires now just need to get my 6x9 in.

0d9c54cc7429c8ecd750a77cf7cd3b60.jpg

Have to buy some new window switches with the trim so I can relocate them.

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
Ordered the window switches with trim plates to relocate them.

Found out whatever 3.5 came out of the dash were actually pretty stout so I ordered some bass blockers and put them back in

Went and picked up that 307 today an hour each way and lots of physical labor unfortunately not as great as I hoped it seems to have all the brackets and none of the pulleys seem to be bent but it was kept outside and without the lid on the power steering pump so nevermind my backup power steering pump. And the aluminum top part of the alternator bracket broke off and was gone [emoji58] so I’m hoping the one I have will work. At least the top portion.

And then I have to look it over for any other things I want or need and figure out how to get rid of it.

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
Working on bass blockers for the 3.5 and taking the backseats out so I can cut for my 6x9 and then I’ll have to grab some metal to make a brace for the back seat and package tray because I think I remember reading it’s part of body stiffening and I would hate to crease or dimple things from cutting out metal.

Shop assistant joined me for a pretend drive
fbd593af57d25d8c08faf1728f6de848.jpg
ed9f0c228c1145b2335cadf8f0ae37dd.jpg

Hopefully 6x9s will be done today and may look at new throttle cable but I am concerned I may have ordered one two short so we shall see.

Need to plan new brackets and see if one of my crank pulleys match the 307 one since it’s egg shaped unfortunately.

Have someone coming to pick up the rest of the 307 luckily so I don’t have to sit on an extra motor.

Still need to rotate my tires check pressures and put on my new spacers can’t wait to see how it changes the look

Gonna make a new thread about exhaust because I hate how my dad did the tailpipes.

Need to pull my plugs and probably try to regap them and figure out what’s up with my kickdown. Definitely need to make sure the car is staying in 3rd gear and probably make a WOT pull video from a stop for my gearing thread y’all are a wealth of knowledge.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor