CUTLASS 1983 Cutlass - windshield wipers woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

CurtisP

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 23, 2022
I have a 1983 Cutlass Calais with a SBC and turbo350 swap.

Having windshield wiper issues - the wiring has been hacked up - and my Haynes manual kind of sucks…

Out of the fuse box is (what looks like) a grey wire coming out of the fuse marked for wipers. But I cannot locate the wiring under the steering column For the wiper switch (mist, off, on (delay) lo hi)

Can only get the wiper motor to click - have battery voltage on both white wires for motor and squirter but cannot get proper voltage to the motor or squirter to make them function, I can physically put power to the motor and make it work though

CurtisP

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 23, 2022
Inspecting further,
The delay diode is still there and functioning,
There is hanging down from the dash on drivers side with just tape covering the ends
Pink with black tracer - battery voltage key on power
Blue with white tracer
Purple.

The pink with black tracer is supposed to be instrument power for the dash but the dash functions already (not sure what it’s powered by, I didn’t do the swap) but I cannot find the blue with white tracer anywhere in my manual and the purple appears to be for the windshield wipers but cannot get any voltage or ground out of it…

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
early wiper.jpg

InstrumentPanelLighting-684x1024.jpg

CurtisP

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 23, 2022
Does anyone have a schematic for the back of the fuse panel - there are two random wires coming out for the harness that have been cut and I do not know what they are for - cannot even tell a colour on them as it’s been sprayed before

CurtisP

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 23, 2022
26C265A8-3B84-4C4B-AD08-98362F37A234.jpeg

I do not believe this to be the factory pulse wiper box ? Was attached to the dash

CurtisP

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 23, 2022
View attachment 197605

I do not believe this to be the factory pulse wiper box ? Was attached to the dash

This was mounted here on the dash

5A0EB77E-938A-4CE0-8662-FF4E18526834.jpeg

What I believe someone has done is tried to install a pulse wiper setup in a regular car - my turn signal / wiper switch setup is this

8AF499EC-E2C6-4AB9-96F0-7C98F78BDBFC.jpeg

This is the wiper motor that was in it (not functioning)

128F6992-FDCE-4160-B47C-E2DFBCAA5790.jpeg

Sort of at a loss here without basically ripping the whole thing out and starting fresh

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Never seen anything like that thing on the dash can't help you with that.

The motor appears to be a intermittent/delay motor the factory used a relay with that, Never seen a wiring diagram with the relay.

Wires are something like this:

wiper motor.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

CurtisP

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 23, 2022
Never seen anything like that thing on the dash can't help you with that.

The motor appears to be a intermittent/delay motor the factory used a relay with that, Never seen a wiring diagram with the relay.

Wires are something like this:

View attachment 197615

Again - many thanks.
I am going to try and locate the relay (if still installed) and wire accordingly

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor