CUTLASS 1983 Cutlass - windshield wipers woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
The spade terminal i have marked "to relay" is probably the gray wire. The red wire goes to the relay but the rest is a mystery. The schematic shows the relay being part of the motor but all the parts data shows it is not part of the motor.

Perhaps someone has a picture of a relay installed?

You should be able to get the regular non delay functions to work so you at least have wipers. Then you can figure out the relay.

Last edited:

CurtisP

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 23, 2022
Bumping this thread - I put the car on the back burner and was super busy with my machine shop and the farm equipment.
Will be going back at this shortly - ELCAM do you believe I need a different wiper motor for the wiper switch I have in the column ?
There is a few options available I would like to just buy a new one and make sure it’s correct

CurtisP

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 23, 2022
Alright,
After a full day yesterday devoted to the car in the shop. Dash wiring removed, cleaned up, fixed properly.
Fixed many poor grounds throughout the car as well.
However - the circuit board on the wiper motor is no good now, I suspect one of the resistors is smoked out in it.

A lot of searching online yields just a motor assm without a new circuit board setup, does anyone have a complete assembly option ?

Kicking myself now for not changing the dash light bulbs to LED while it was out,

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
A lot of searching online yields just a motor assm without a new circuit board setup, does anyone have a complete assembly option ?
Ever thought of replacing the mechanical washer pump with an electric one like Trico's 11516 ('80-'83 A/G w/delay) as it has everything for the delay to function like the mechanical pump. I've installed one on the motor I'm using with my delay conversion.

Reactions: 1 user

CurtisP

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 23, 2022
I am not familiar with that one - will it replace the whole circuit board. ?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Everything is attached to the pump part of the wiper assembly so all you need to do is remove the wires from the mechanical pump to swap out to the elctric pump. I unsoldered the black/purple wire to add a uninsulated terminal to connect to the red wire that has the flag/side terminal. Now Rock Auto does have a circuit board kit from ACI, p/n 172360, that will get you wipers working again with out messing with swaping out pumps.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor