1983 Hurst Olds Pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pettrix

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 8, 2019
I've seen some outlandish pricing of 50k mile+ 1983 Hurst Olds for sale. Usually by classic car dealers. With pricing in the $25k-$30k for a stock vehicle with 50k miles+

To me, that is just lunacy and doesn't reflect the G-Body market. Stock, these vehicles were slow and had almost no performance compared to the 1965-1972 muscle cars. A stock 1983 H/O would run 16.50 in the 1/4 mile.
Today's daily driver sedans are running 16 and 15 second 1/4 miles times.

It's no surprise this vehicle has been "for sale" for months now at the ridiculous $30k price tag. One can get a nice near perfect condition 1985-1987 Buick GN for that price.

Reactions: 1 user

Pettrix

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 8, 2019
Another auction - it's supply and demand and the people thought it was worth so much and seller was thinking more.

Plus those aftermarket pin stripes really detracted from the value and aesthetics. Seller claimed they are "easily removed" so my question is, why not remove it? It hurts the value $$. The stripes are painted UNDERNEATH the clear coat so one would have to sand off the clear, then spray and blend the black base coat over the stripes, then re-clear the enter panel, then wet sand and buff. So it is NOT "easily removed" as you are talking probably around $3k in paint & labor to remove all those stripes.

In addition, I doubt that it's truly 29,700 miles. More like 129,700 miles. Remember, those vehicle odometers would roll back to 00000 when it hit over 99,999 miles. Modern vehicles have 6 digits so odometers can go over 100,000 and keep counting.

Judging by the rust and oil leaks, I believe that vehicle is 129,700 miles OR it was driven in the Midwest rustbelt or somewhere that the weather is harsh and they use road salt. Tons of bad rust spots on the vehicle if you carefully examine the photos.

AT BEST, that vehicle is worth maybe $6k - $8k.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Pettrix

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 8, 2019
One can buy a TRULY RUST FREE Arizona G-Body Regal T-Type with under 20k miles for $27k.

Reactions: 1 users

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
That is an awesome looking T-Type, condition wise and lots of nice options, tasteful mods it appears.

Hurst Olds/442's I'm not sure on the market, seems they do better than MCSS's in the same shape but not by much. To get 20k+ it would have to be a super low mile and stored properly, if so I wouldn't be surprised if it could get it, SS's have gotten up there and then some in that realm. But a 50k or so car no way. Some of those classic car dealers put stupid amounts and I'm guessing they know they won't get close to it, maybe the high amount gets attention.

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
A Hurst Olds or a Grand National in Decent Shape would be the only two cars I would trade my Excellent Shape, Documented, Grand Prix for.

-Gonz

Jeff Blagden

Master Mechanic
Aug 12, 2016
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
I paid 6500 for a 1980 442 with 37000 kms 4 years ago that might be 25000 miles all original no rust survivor and people said I was crazy to pay that for a crappy Gbody so it is only worth what people will pay for it really hard to put a price on any of our cars have a good day Jeff from Winnipeg

Pettrix

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 8, 2019
That is an awesome looking T-Type, condition wise and lots of nice options, tasteful mods it appears.

Hurst Olds/442's I'm not sure on the market, seems they do better than MCSS's in the same shape but not by much. To get 20k+ it would have to be a super low mile and stored properly, if so I wouldn't be surprised if it could get it, SS's have gotten up there and then some in that realm. But a 50k or so car no way. Some of those classic car dealers put stupid amounts and I'm guessing they know they won't get close to it, maybe the high amount gets attention.

That is a very clean T-Type and the condition is excellent. No rust which is huge for a G Body. If they were driven in winter salt, then they will rust out quickly.

Pettrix

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 8, 2019
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor