1983 olds cutlass cruise control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don6393

n00b
Nov 29, 2014
I recently purchased this car and the cruise does not work. Been to the shop twice and no fix found. Bought a switch from member here and either it don't work also or there is another fault here. Looks to have a new servo and transducer on it. Does anyone have an idea or point me to a place to get a vacume diagram and an electrical diagram of these cruise circuits? Thanks for any assistance offered

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    530.9 KB · Views: 4,293
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    608.4 KB · Views: 2,336
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    574.3 KB · Views: 2,999

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Not sure if this is an issue but there seems to be an extra terminal on top of the transducer.
The correct transducer should only have two terminals but it may not be an issue...
Here is a wire diagram, check your radio and cruise fuses and make sure the power lead going to the stalk and brake release switch is getting power and the brake release.
Also make sure the black wire from the transducer/solenoid is grounded.

http://www.gbodyolds.com/forum/showthre ... 6#post3826

Here are some photos of the vacuum lines from a 14k mile car:
http://www.gbodyolds.com/forum/showthre ... ood-Photos

I have an 82-83 Manual at the shop but I am not sure when I will be there next.
I will see what I have lying around at home, I may have a diagram.

Don6393

n00b
Nov 29, 2014
By extra terminal do you mean the --2--green wires there should only be --1--green wire?
Did you mean to say -- back wire-- or --black wire--?
Thanks I will look into that. Do you know of a vacuum diagram?

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Lets take a step back...
Did you even check to see if the system has vacuum?

I studied the photos I posted above and right away I can tell that the line you have running to the accelerator diaphragm is incorrect.
That should be hooked up to the back of the solenoid.
From what I can tell you have no vacuum to the system or the brake switch isn't getting vacuum...

I spent some time an made a diagram, there are none on the interwebs...

http://www.gbodyolds.com/forum/showthre ... 6#post3826

Should be black wire not back, sorry :oops:
However your wiring is fine.

If the vacuum all checks out you may have the wrong transducer or the solenoid or brakes switch is bad.

There is an extra terminal blade on the top of the transducer on the right with nothing hooked up to it which begs the question does that have anything to do with why nothing is working.
That little electrical box on top is the low speed sensor and decides how much vacuum to send to the gas pedal and turn everything on and off.

The solenoid is basically used in conjunction with the brake pedal switch and controls off and resume during braking.
If you solenoid or brake switch are bad that can cause things to not work as well.

The correct transducer only has two blades, the blade on the right is not on the correct RK code transducer for '82-83 H/O and Cutlass w/307 and that can be the culprit...
Best to get your test light out and test the solenoid and brake switch.

I have the correct transducer, solenoid and brake switch all NOS if you are interested.

Don6393

n00b
Nov 29, 2014
Thank you for all your help. I know that takes a lot of time and I appreciate your time and effort.

turboaudi

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 27, 2013
upstate NY
the third wire is for a cruise light it was used in the buick line including g bodys being unhooked doesnt matter it should still work with nothing connected to it i used to have a diagnostic bulletin from gm on testing these cruise systems but i havent used it in 20 yrs if i find it i will post it dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor