1983 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Sedan LS Turbo Build

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
View attachment 110570

Looks like I will be able to use the bracket I cut off on the other side of the crossmember.

Eek! Dude, you need a piece of plywood or something under that to distribute the load on the pan, you risk crushing the pan and filter doing it that way.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Does the oil pan clear the tie rod ends at full steering lock? I had my pan higher since mine hit I thought. Might just be camera angle.

GroceryGetter83

LS Mafia
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2018
Tampa, Florida
Eek! Dude, you need a piece of plywood or something under that to distribute the load on the pan, you risk crushing the pan and filter doing it that way.

I know! There is no converter in the trans, nor fluid. So the trans is lighter than it could have been. I will use some wood on final install.

GroceryGetter83

LS Mafia
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2018
Tampa, Florida
Does the oil pan clear the tie rod ends at full steering lock? I had my pan higher since mine hit I thought. Might just be camera angle.

I will check tonight, I honestly didn't try it yet.

GroceryGetter83

LS Mafia
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2018
Tampa, Florida

The pan does hit the steering mechanism. Looks like I have to buy a damn oil pan 🤮

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
The pan does hit the steering mechanism. Looks like I have to buy a damn oil pan 🤮

Better to find out now than when you turn the first time and pop a hole in the pan!!!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

GroceryGetter83

LS Mafia
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2018
Tampa, Florida
Better to find out now than when you turn the first time and pop a hole in the pan!!!

Absolutely. Thanks for catching that.

I'm torn between my options:
A) Get new motor mounts, keep truck pan, might have hood clearance issues with truck accessories? Will cost less but still have low oil pan.

B) Keep current motor mounts, get new pan. Hood clearance should be ok? Costs more but no low pan.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Absolutely. Thanks for catching that.

I'm torn between my options:
A) Get new motor mounts, keep truck pan, might have hood clearance issues with truck accessories? Will cost less but still have low oil pan.

B) Keep current motor mounts, get new pan. Hood clearance should be ok? Costs more but no low pan.

How about option C) Return the Holley Terminator system ($ 999 ouch! o_O ) and buy the 302-2 pan that you really need to do the job right. It's just me but when the factory ECM's work so well, are plentiful and cheap I don't understand why anyone would use anything else....Especially at $999

• Agree

GroceryGetter83

LS Mafia
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2018
Tampa, Florida
How about option C) Return the Holley Terminator system ($ 999 ouch! o_O ) and buy the 302-2 pan that you really need to do the job right. It's just me but when the factory ECM's work so well, are plentiful and cheap I don't understand why anyone would use anything else....Especially at $999

I have a full truck harness/ECU/fuse block when I got the motor. Mathematically I am saving money with the Holley:

Holley Terminator: $900 with $100 off coupon from Summit. I can tune myself, wire and monitor 90% of the things I want. Can use stock speedometer and gas gauge. Win for me.
Truck harness/ECU: Rewire harness (costs time which I value my time @ $$$, $400), gauges (Tach, A/F, oil pressure, fuel pressure, water temperature, etc etc, easily $600, buy HP Tuners, $400 or pay someone to tune $$.

$1400 > $900

Either way, I need the pan :doh:

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
There is this option also for over $100 less than the 302-2. You need an LS3 distick tube also so thats another $45 to add to the bill.

I have run a pickup pan on my car for 2 years at stock ride height, but plan to go to the pan below since I want to lower the car an inch or two up front. The alternator is close on stock pickup accessories but it will clear. I have the smaller diameter alternator from like an 06 work truck 1500, engine is as low as possible so the steering doesnt hit the pan and i trimmed the hood support around the alternator since it rubbed.

https://www.poormanmotorsports.com/...x-aluminum-rear-sump-oil-pan-aluminum-natural

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor