1984-1987 Regal base/Limited steering wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
Are there any alternatives to sourcing these steering wheels? The thin plastic ones with the chrome/simulated wood ring insert that disintegrate even when protected from the sun. I was going to repair mine with 3M panel bond and just eliminate the trim ring, but I just noticed a bunch of hairline cracks running the opposite direction (horizontal) of the wide cracks that go vertical.

I've seen the fullsize Lesabres of the period have them, possibly some of the FWD cars too (?). Would the hub mounting/sizing for the other bodystyles interchange with the G-Body column?

I like this particular wheel despite its inability to remain intact over time. Don't particularly care for the T-Type/GN style.

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
Like this one? Will eventually be available. I have a 3-spoke I bought for it, but no firm timeline when the swap will happen.

That appears the be basically the same wheel. However, I believe somewhere in 1984/1985 they changed the pad (wouldn't matter). And, it doesn't look like that wheel has the chrome/wood trim ring insert, so it would be basically what mine would look like if I attempt to fix it.

Plus, mine is dark blue.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
i sold mine a while ago but you are looking for something like my original one in the first picture.
I have now eliminated all of the wood grain in my Regal with the new interior.
IMG_1699.JPG
20170716_205240_resized_1.jpg

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
i sold mine a while ago but you are looking for something like my original one in the first picture.
I have now eliminated all of the wood grain in my Regal with the new interior.
View attachment 104499 View attachment 104500

That's the style. Are those the reproduction seat covers for the Limited seats? Looks close to the original pattern, but not exact.

Would prefer to stick with the Limited style wheel. Now that I'm seeing pictures, it will match as intended with the rest of the simulated wood trim.

I'm guessing the Turbo Limited cars had the 3-spoke, thick GN/T-Type wheel, I just don't like it. I like the thinner wheel with the molded in grips. Perhaps the thick wheel works better with the faster ratio steering box?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Are those the reproduction seat covers for the Limited seats? Looks close to the original pattern, but not exact

The seats covers are not reproduction, both power seats are actually NOS that were special ordered but never installed in a vehicle.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Just goes to show you...Different strokes for different folks. I’ve been itching to put a 3-spoke in the wagon for a long time. Have always thought the “boomerang” wheel (my name for it) always looked kind of weak and granny. 3-spoke is much sportier and more attractive, IMHO. Hope you find what you’re looking for.

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
Well, if anyone knows if the A-Body FWD Century steering wheel fits, please relay the info.

They're a bit more common, and the bodies were a bit more weather tight so there's a better chance the wheels survive time better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor