1984 Cutlass build

Status
Not open for further replies.

84/ttop

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 15, 2012
Washburn, ND
I'm going to be dropping a 455 into my cutlass this winter and have plenty of things to figure out before I can start doing any work in a couple weeks.

I built the engine during the summer. It has edelbrock aluminum heads, torker intake, and compression was raised to about 9.5:1. For the cam and rocker assembly I decided to try Mondello :blam: nothing but problems with them. I'm going to hope that the parts that I got from them work for now but, if I do any work on it in the future none of my business will be with them.

Thats the car I have to work with. I picked it up back in May. The t-tops on it look pretty solid except for the front plates. I've been thinking of putting in a roll bar in it to keep stuff from twisting.

For the transmission I have a 2004r stock out of a 83 olds 98. The transmission was still working fine but I'm sure I'll need to rebuild it and build it up a little to work behind the 455. I'm not really sure on what to do with the transmission as far as rebuild parts goes so anything will help. I only plan to having this transmission behind my 455 for a couple years. I want to do a manual transmission conversion but its not on the budget at the moment.

Other things I'm going to need are a driveshaft for it and eventually a rear-end swap from the 2.41 gears that are currently in there.

Hopefully I can get it all put together so she can be out on the road this spring. Any input is appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_0422.JPG
    IMG_0422.JPG
    267.7 KB · Views: 1,042
  • IMG_0410.JPG
    IMG_0410.JPG
    294.4 KB · Views: 1,031

iameggor

Greasemonkey
Feb 25, 2011
Montana
You should have fun with that:) I know mine was if I where to do it again I would choose different headers instead of hooker, maybe kooks. I am running a 200-4r in mine it seems to be holding up, I definitely would build it as strong as possible. Looking forward to seeing more of your build.

Attachments

• IMG_1066.jpg
    IMG_1066.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 1,002

84/ttop

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 15, 2012
Washburn, ND
I finally got my cutlass into the shop.

It might be awhile yet till I get parts for it so in the mean time I'm just doing some small stuff.
The vinyl top on it looked pretty bad so it came off.

The only bad spot I found underneath it was rust around the window on the driver side. Other than that there were spots on both sides where it was filled in with body filler. I haven't decided if I want to leave the vinyl off yet or not, I'm leaning towards just leaving it off.
All I should really have to do before I get parts is cleaning up the engine bay. The mounts are welded on and set up for SBC so they need to be ground off. I also need to figure out where the cable connects from the floor shifter, any help on that would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Photo12162352.jpg
    Photo12162352.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 892
  • Photo12181615.jpg
    Photo12181615.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 892
  • Photo12181737.jpg
    Photo12181737.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 898

Dburger

G-Body Guru
Jun 1, 2012
Looks nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor