1984 Cutlass Calais build

Status
Not open for further replies.

thapharm

n00b
Apr 21, 2022
Hey everyone!

This is my first car build ever and I bought a 1984 Cutlass Calais that was in a barn for 22 years that I am looking to completely redo and just have a couple of questions.

Right now I am currently working on the trunk and wheel well on the drivers side that is rusted along with the body mount as normal. My main question is there is some rust that also runs along the rail in the trunk that the floor pan was attached to along with the fender. What would be the best way to get at this piece of metal? I am paranoid about taking the body off the frame because it is a t-top and everyone has made me paranoid about twisting the body. Also with the Trunk mount on the wheel well should I just cut that and re weld it later? Not sure if I have to worry about weakening the body if I cut that and the trunk body support bracket. I can post pictures if this isn't making any sense!

Thanks for the help!

Reactions: 1 users

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
Hi, welcome to GBF from Seattle, Wa.
Yes, post some pictures.
What part of the country do you call home?

Reactions: 1 user

Nabob111

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 8, 2022
Im in the process of rebuilding one myself. I am hoping to start taking it apart next month, If I find out any info on the best way to remove the body I will let you know. My plan is to take everything apart and just leave the body and frame together. Basically try and lighten the body up by removing all the glass and body parts that can come off, them fix any structural parts that can be repairing or build supports around anything that needs repairing to hold it square. Then remove the body from the frame.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor