1984 el camino, NEED HELP PLEASE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachb1112

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 10, 2019
alright so long story short my uncle bought an el camino about a year ago weve been trying to fix it up and the bucket list is growing by the day, he just had a new crate motor put in it and next up its going to get completely rewired and having the dakota digital gauges put in BUT before it can have any of that done im trying to get the doors fixed so you can actually get in and out of the vehicle without climbing through the window or fighting the door handle to open for an hour ( i got my phone stuck in the car for a whole 3 hours last week it was a great time ) now ive gotten to the point where weve just decided to basically replace everything ( hinges, handles, weatherstripping, latches ) my hold up is i can find all of the parts no problem except for the rods that connect from the latch to the handles and the locks the ones that are in his doors now are bent to hell and when i tried to rebend them back into shape they just bent again within an hour of playing with the door. can anyone please help me find these rods im not quite sure why the new latches dont come with them either

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Do you have a pull it yard anywhere near you? That would be your best option. I believe any G-Body 2 door donar would suffice .

zachb1112

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 10, 2019

zachb1112

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 10, 2019
Do you have a pull it yard anywhere near you? That would be your best option. I believe any G-Body 2 door donar would suffice .

my concern is that i was told the factory rods on the gbodys all had a habit of bending over time how do i know if im getting quality or trash?

shoedoos

Master Mechanic
Jul 3, 2012
any chance you could let me in on the specifics of your research? Differences? quality? pros? cons? etc

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
alright so long story short my uncle bought an el camino about a year ago weve been trying to fix it up and the bucket list is growing by the day, he just had a new crate motor put in it and next up its going to get completely rewired and having the dakota digital gauges put in BUT before it can have any of that done im trying to get the doors fixed so you can actually get in and out of the vehicle without climbing through the window or fighting the door handle to open for an hour ( i got my phone stuck in the car for a whole 3 hours last week it was a great time ) now ive gotten to the point where weve just decided to basically replace everything ( hinges, handles, weatherstripping, latches ) my hold up is i can find all of the parts no problem except for the rods that connect from the latch to the handles and the locks the ones that are in his doors now are bent to hell and when i tried to rebend them back into shape they just bent again within an hour of playing with the door. can anyone please help me find these rods im not quite sure why the new latches dont come with them either
1570758705202.png
Punctuation helps.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

zachb1112

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 10, 2019
"We've been fixing it up", but you're paying someone? Whatever....

If the doors have sagged, get a hinge bushing kit from almost anywhere. It's a fairly common fix.

its not just the door sag as i already stated, the doors dont work at all for the most part the latches get stuck, the rods are all bent including the lock rods which i didnt know was possible to be honest, and the door sags. im all about the built not bought life trust me but i know my limits and wiring an entire car from scratch is not in my wheel house sorry if that makes me not cool to you man 🤷‍♂️

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
We're a pretty helpful group. Just put the word out, and you'll have offers for what you need. You can get some stuff new (door pins and bushings, lock cylinders, and handle, etc), but the rods will probably have to found used.
That's pretty easy stuff to do yourself instead of paying $125/hr+ to a body shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor