1984 Hurst Olds Barn Find

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
If you don't have success getting a title, you could perhaps part it out. Dare I say it.

Just an option.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Nah, you just post it for sale and mention that the buyer just "needs to file for a lost title"....at least that's what they try to tell people around here. No matter that doesn't work...

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
AFAIK the Vermont loophole still exists. When we were up there you literally just handed over a signed bill of sale with vin and price. No old reg number. No old title number.

They registered and plated it if you paid the fees and tax.

Then, good old full faith and credit clause, pretty much every state has a procedure for bringing in a car from the non-title states using the registration.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
AFAIK the Vermont loophole still exists. When we were up there you literally just handed over a signed bill of sale with vin and price. No old reg number. No old title number.

They registered and plated it if you paid the fees and tax.

Then, good old full faith and credit clause, pretty much every state has a procedure for bringing in a car from the non-title states using the registration.
Hmmm. If they still have it available for out of state residents, then this could be a viable option.

It explains the Vermont process here...

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Hmmm. If they still have it available for out of state residents, then this could be a viable option.

It explains the Vermont process here...

And if SC has too cumbersome of an 'import from out of state that's non title' process then SD allows out of state residents with no physical presence to register and title a vehicle there.

Look up Clay County, SD although any county can do it....

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006

Ordering a Duplicate Title​

In South Carolina, if the certificate of title has been lost or damaged, a duplicate can be ordered by the owner on record. The application for a duplicate title can be submitted either by mail or with a visit to a local DMV office. To apply, the owner must turn in a completed the _Application for Certificate of Title/Registration --_Form 400 -- which must include mileage as well as the names of any lienholders. To complete the process, the owner must submit valid identification and applicable fees.

It would be far better if it had a SC title registered to the guy's son to request a duplicate title. Whoever the real "owner" of the car is, they need to take care of that sort of stuff. Same for the tractor if applicable. If you want to pay the fees, etc., by all means, that's still a cheap way to do it.

TBH, I did that title by mail crap with the Ford Focus that my late MIL willed to me. No big hassle, but when the title didn't show up for the longest time, I called to check on it and they said their records say it was mailed, so tough t*tty. I'm like WTF? You owe me a title. I paid my fees and you haven't delivered. As far as they were concerned, they did their job and I was up sh*t creek. So when I went to get a DUPLICATE title to replace the one the USPS apparently lost in the mail, I had to pay another fee and opted for the instant delivery fee to have them print it out right then and there instead of mailing it. It was worth it because I wanted the title in my hands, and didn't want them fuggin' up my life any worse than it is. Dumbazzes.

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
I was going to mention the Vermont trick but I’m late to the party. If the car isn’t a rotted POS it would be a shame to part it, the Vermont thing gives you an option. I know of someone in the middle of this process to get a WI title for a Monte roller that was sold a couple times and no title, clean car he wants to build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor