1984 Hurst Olds Barn Find

Status
Not open for further replies.

lvrnespeca

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 23, 2019
I just bought a farm in South Carolina in one of the old barns was a 1984 Hurst Olds and an old Ford Tractor (about a 1947 or48) I own everything on the farm now including the Hurst Olds and the tractor. The old owner could give me no information on the Hurst Olds other than it has sat for 20 years. I believe their son bought it and did nothing to it. The paint is worn were the sun hit it but the interior is in amazing shape. I want to get a title in my name so this cant go south. I want to run the VIN to make sure its not stolen because I would not keep it if it is and someone would be missing this car. Is there a legitimate way to get a title? South Carolina is absolutely no help!

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Absolutely post some pics of the H/O. As for a replacement title, I remember hearing that states like Alabama would issue you a title. First things first, trace the vin # and make sure the car isn't on a hot sheet somewhere.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Is there a legitimate way to get a title? South Carolina is absolutely no help!
In Michigan the DMV will honor what’s called a bonded title. It’s basically an insurance policy on a new title in your name. I’ve done this for a few 442 parts cars that were missing titles. There’s some extra cost involved but it’s a legitimate path to get a title. Have the police run the VIN number before you do anything and then talk to your insurance agent.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Most large tow operations will know the ropes to get ownership on abandoned vehicles, might be worth a call.

Almost every state has a means to address this, often you will have to call or visit more than one DMV/tag office to find someone that knows and is willing to do the work. Many are baffled by anything outside the "normal" daily title transfers.

You might even research SC's state website for answers. Generally, threads like this on any forum get lots of answers that are irrelevant to YOUR state, which is really the only one that matters.

As an aside, most states no longer recognize the Alabama method.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
www.SCDMVonline.com

Search for form TI-021B. This is a form for verifying a vehicle's identification through law enforcement. You'll need a cop's signature on this form. They should run the check to see if it's been stolen, etc.

You better be able to get either the guy you bought the farm from, or better yet, his son, and see if they have a title. Or have HIM send off for a replacement title. SC is weird when titling cars and stuff. Everything seemingly needs a title and if you're not the original owner, you're about SOL.

If he did the IDIOTIC thing of never changing the title over to his name, then try and find out who owned it before him. Hopefully the car was titled in SC, or you'll have lotsa mo' fun. This is a rabbit hole that will be a long and arduous path going through SC as it is.

You might have to fill out a form TR-2, which is an abandoned vehicle form. The state will attempt to contact the last known owner, and if they don't come for it in 30 days, you can take it to the magistrate's office to be sent for auction. This form is usually for garages and tow truck places, so not sure how it would work in your case. But for $6, you can get the name and last known contact info for the owner.

You're in a pickle if you want to keep this car. Good luck.

lvrnespeca

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 23, 2019
I'll get more

Attachments

• Hurst Olds.jpg
    Hurst Olds.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 157

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
In my state if you have a bill of sale or other proof you bought it you can apply for a lost title. The DMV will then send via registered mail a letter to all known addresses of the prior x number of owners. If none contest ownership in 90 days of receipt of the mailing you can start the process of applying for a title. I had to go through with this for a car. Took a while but it did get me the title.

lvrnespeca

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 23, 2019
In my state if you have a bill of sale or other proof you bought it you can apply for a lost title. The DMV will then send via registered mail a letter to all known addresses of the prior x number of owners. If none contest ownership in 90 days of receipt of the mailing you can start the process of applying for a title. I had to go through with this for a car. Took a while but it did get me the title.
It would be easier to move to your state than to get a title in South Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor