1984 Monte Carlo..ls swap ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayjMonte27

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 21, 2021
So I just purchased a 1984 v6 Monte Carlo. Time to get this project going. I have many ideas but first things first. I want to get the v6 out! Ls swap is what I have in mind. New to this and looking for some information to lead me on a good path. Looking for the best bang with the buck...... So where do I start?

Attachments

• 5FD806A6-D96F-4C32-BA9E-AF7125808347.jpeg
    5FD806A6-D96F-4C32-BA9E-AF7125808347.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 132
Reactions: 1 user

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
I have the same car; about to pull the V6 too. I have level 3 swap kit from Holley with cast iron headers & 2.5" exhaust from Hooker, 4l60e cross member, and LS engine mounts... Added in-tank fuel pump. Got 2004 5.3l w/4l60e from the junk yard out of a 2WD Silverado; had the trans rebuilt and traded the motor for a fresh one. Cleaned up intake; converted to drive by cable throttle body and had a shop in Texas refurb and test the original fuel injectors. Had a local guy change the 2.41 open rear to a 3.55 posi (still 7.5" ring gear). Local shop will shorten drive shaft. Updating gauges with Dakota Digital cluster that plugs into the ECM OBD2. Also bought some door seals and window sweeps from Mike's Montes; replaced the upholstered ceiling panel with painted polyethylene. Replaced the R14 steel wheels with R17 5-spoke from American Racing from General Tire.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
I have the same car; about to pull the V6 too. I have level 3 swap kit from Holley with cast iron headers & 2.5" exhaust from Hooker, 4l60e cross member, and LS engine mounts... Added in-tank fuel pump. Got 2004 5.3l w/4l60e from the junk yard out of a 2WD Silverado; had the trans rebuilt and traded the motor for a fresh one. Cleaned up intake; converted to drive by cable throttle body and had a shop in Texas refurb and test the original fuel injectors. Had a local guy change the 2.41 open rear to a 3.55 posi (still 7.5" ring gear). Local shop will shorten drive shaft. Updating gauges with Dakota Digital cluster that plugs into the ECM OBD2. Also bought some door seals and window sweeps from Mike's Montes; replaced the upholstered ceiling panel with painted polyethylene. Replaced the R14 steel wheels with R17 5-spoke from American Racing from General Tire.
Did you make a build thread?

RayjMonte27

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 21, 2021
Well, if you're in Kalifornia, you're screwed.
I have been told. I’m not worried about the smog. I am moving to a new state within the next year. Plus I have a few ways to get around that issue just in case.

• Optimistic
Reactions: 1 user

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
So I just purchased a 1984 v6 Monte Carlo. Time to get this project going. I have many ideas but first things first. I want to get the v6 out! Ls swap is what I have in mind. Looking for the best bang with the buck...... So where do I start?
What power level do you want or need? That will determine your path and cost

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
What power level do you want or need? That will determine your path and cost
And what you are looking to do with it, if its just cruise then pull n pay is your best bang for the buck followed by junkyard

RayjMonte27

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 21, 2021
Did you make a build thread?
Ok. Got some work to do. But gives me a start. Is there anything speacial I should look for when getting a LS from. Junkyard? My goal is for a 5.3 with a cam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor