1984 Monte Carlo Roller Help Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
See what I mean about pictures? Further to my suggestions above, I when I included junkyards as a source, one I used to deal with had what could be termed, "pullouts"; complete engine/transmission assemblies pulled from wrecks that had then been test fired to see if all was well and then set aside for engine swaps while the rest of the hulk got squashed!! Obviously the best picks were ones from cars that been rammed from behind or t-boned. Any kind of front end collision tended to mean the motor had been dead stopped and could have suffered injury in the process. They became cores that went back to the rebuilders for re-man. All this is doesn't happen as much around here as it used to, too many off shore salt boxes built from metallic paper and preset life spans after which no parts are available and for which the salvage market is not so energetic. I had this discussion with the owners of an auto yard with which I do business and they noted that for them, anything car over 5 years of age pretty much falls into the squash and dispose category. Trucks get a better deal. Stuff for them can sit on the shelf for 10 years or more unless there is a major model change in which case, they start to look at thinning out the herd again.

On the matter of truck engines, be careful. While the motors themselves are fairly ubiquitous, the motor mounts may not be so. While the frame portion may be identical to that in a car, what you may find is that the upper shell, the portion that bolts to the block, has a different shape and or center line from the mounting face to the hole in the ear for the cross bolt. I posted pictures in Project Regress that showed that physical difference in two sets of upper shells. What I found is that the wrong shells just will not let the motor index into position.. Just another niggling little detail that might try to bite you during a project.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
So, my predicament is that I don’t know how to tell if in fact a V8 was last installed in the car or not. I would like to have a V8, but if it’s already set up for a V6, it would be easier to purchase and install as such. I guess I’m wondering if anyone can tell me based off of the appearance and location of the engine mounts, and also any wiring present. I’m not ready for an extensive build right now, so I’m really just trying to get it running and moving for now, then work on it more as I have time.

No matter what engine you put in it will take the same amount of effort. You are going to have to decide if you want to go w/ stock computer control or do away with it. I get the feeling you have limited experience but isn't this where we all started. As brought up a donor would probably be best suited to get you running where you are just transferring parts. Your going to need a lot of incidental parts which a donor could supply and although you my have to pay up for it you can also sell off what your not going to use. Good luck and there are no stupid questions -ask.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Um, think your answer lies in the pictures a response or two earlier. Good clean shots of where the bolts and mounts would fall if the vehicle was set up for a V-8. Anything else would likely be V-6. Only V-6 worth any kind of consideration would be the Buick GN 3.8 w/turbo and even then the weakness to them was the oiling system. Oil pump is part of the front timing cover and the pickup is at the back of the pan = long way to go for the oil just to reach the pump and then get pushed out into the galleries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor