1984 Monte Carlo Roller Help Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
Even if it was a V6, nothing is there so we are talking the difference in a set of motor mounts. SBC mounts are less than 10 bucks a piece the last time I checked. Maybe check out marketplace and craigslist locally and see if one of the guys swapping to LS is dumping their SBC 350 or similar on the cheap. I have a 350 completely ready to drop into a g body down to the wiring harness ready to screw into the fire wall that I was going to sell for 1000 bucks with all aluminum parts, serpentine setup and the the whole works, had a buyer that bailed and I decided to buy a roller to install it in. But the point is 1000 bucks would have had someone a awesome setup super cheap. Unless I had a intercooled 3.8, I would not even consider reinstalling a 3.8

MissedMy84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 7, 2019
I think you'd have an easier time finding a 350 than a v6 that is in good running condition and easier to find parts for the 350
Thank you, I believe you're right. I was looking and there are plenty of 305/350 near me but I would be going 100+ miles to pick up a V6. I like the idea of a 350 over a 305 but I guess I would be a little worried about the rear end being to handle a 350.

MissedMy84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 7, 2019
Even if it was a V6, nothing is there so we are talking the difference in a set of motor mounts. SBC mounts are less than 10 bucks a piece the last time I checked. Maybe check out marketplace and craigslist locally and see if one of the guys swapping to LS is dumping their SBC 350 or similar on the cheap. I have a 350 completely ready to drop into a g body down to the wiring harness ready to screw into the fire wall that I was going to sell for 1000 bucks with all aluminum parts, serpentine setup and the the whole works, had a buyer that bailed and I decided to buy a roller to install it in. But the point is 1000 bucks would have had someone a awesome setup super cheap. Unless I had a intercooled 3.8, I would not even consider reinstalling a 3.8
That makes a lot of sense. I appreciate the advice.

MissedMy84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 7, 2019
Installing a V-6 would not even be up for discussion if it was my car. As noted, The changes needed to go from V6 to V8 are minimal. Your car is a roller and is a clean slate for whatever powerplant you choose. Really It’s the beauty of a G body.
Thank you. I think I'm starting to think the same way with all of the advice from you guys. I was really just ignorant on the subject, as I've never really had very much experience with these. I had my 84 when I was 17 and that was only for 8 months or so before totaling it.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Thank you, I believe you're right. I was looking and there are plenty of 305/350 near me but I would be going 100+ miles to pick up a V6. I like the idea of a 350 over a 305 but I guess I would be a little worried about the rear end being to handle a 350.

there are members here who have upgraded 350's still using the 7.5" rear. I have a 355 and broke the pinion gears in my 7.5" by poping the clutch showing off to a few friends who had a good laugh. I replaced the posi carrier wirth an open carrier and never had a problem with the rear. The pinion gears in an open carrier have alot more meat on them than the pinion gears in the posi. I ran that 7.5 rear until I found an 8.2 posi that easily handles the engine I have.

Reactions: 1 user

MissedMy84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 7, 2019
there are members here who have upgraded 350's still using the 7.5" rear. I have a 355 and broke the pinion gears in my 7.5" by poping the clutch showing off to a few friends who had a good laugh. I replaced the posi carrier wirth an open carrier and never had a problem with the rear. The pinion gears in an open carrier have alot more meat on them than the pinion gears in the posi. I ran that 7.5 rear until I found an 8.2 posi that easily handles the engine I have.
Thank you. So, I should probably be okay then. My garage is full at the moment, but hopefully be able to get it inside and take a better look at everything. Take better pictures too. Thanks again!

Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Converting from V-6 front mounts to V-8s is not all that difficult, just laborious and time consuming. You won't be able to use anything from the V-6 configuration. That said, the clamshell style mounts can be sourced, starting with your local salvage/recycler or pick a part, and moving up the line to brand new, and/or high performance Getting the old ones off is a function of what ever tools you have available to you. Fastest method is a 4-1/2 Mini-grinder and a razor blade cut off wheel. Just cut away the nuts and the bolts will likely drop out.. If you plan to try to salvage the bolts, be careful, they could be metric and even if not will require 6 point sockets to avoid damaging them. I may have pictures somewhere of what the V-8 mounts look like when attached to the front crossmember. The only complication is the fact that the mounting bolts get put into position from inside out, meaning you have to fish them into the correct slots in the crossmember by a combination of extensions and swivels, or wrenches, one at a time, and then hold it in position until you can drop a nut onto it and run it down snug,x 3 per side. Check the slots for ability; you can sub 7/16ths capscrews for the metrics but may have to use a file to enlarge the slots ever so gently and minimally as possible.

You have dual head pipes that likely merge into one exhaust pipe somewhere near the cat or muffler located on the passengers side. As for choice of motor and transmission, as noted above, a donor car or a drive train pulled from a pick a part yard are among the variety of options. Most of the engine well wiring and tubing will re-route to attach to the 8 without too much modifying. You will need a different fan shroud as the V-6 version is deeper or longer than the V-8; rad should still be the same. There is enough cumulative experience lurking around on this site that help and pictures should be readily available to assist you.

Nick

MissedMy84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 7, 2019
Converting from V-6 front mounts to V-8s is not all that difficult, just laborious and time consuming. You won't be able to use anything from the V-6 configuration. That said, the clamshell style mounts can be sourced, starting with your local salvage/recycler or pick a part, and moving up the line to brand new, and/or high performance Getting the old ones off is a function of what ever tools you have available to you. Fastest method is a 4-1/2 Mini-grinder and a razor blade cut off wheel. Just cut away the nuts and the bolts will likely drop out.. If you plan to try to salvage the bolts, be careful, they could be metric and even if not will require 6 point sockets to avoid damaging them. I may have pictures somewhere of what the V-8 mounts look like when attached to the front crossmember. The only complication is the fact that the mounting bolts get put into position from inside out, meaning you have to fish them into the correct slots in the crossmember by a combination of extensions and swivels, or wrenches, one at a time, and then hold it in position until you can drop a nut onto it and run it down snug,x 3 per side. Check the slots for ability; you can sub 7/16ths capscrews for the metrics but may have to use a file to enlarge the slots ever so gently and minimally as possible.

You have dual head pipes that likely merge into one exhaust pipe somewhere near the cat or muffler located on the passengers side. As for choice of motor and transmission, as noted above, a donor car or a drive train pulled from a pick a part yard are among the variety of options. Most of the engine well wiring and tubing will re-route to attach to the 8 without too much modifying. You will need a different fan shroud as the V-6 version is deeper or longer than the V-8; rad should still be the same. There is enough cumulative experience lurking around on this site that help and pictures should be readily available to assist you.

Nick
Thanks Nick. I took a trip to a couple of local yards today and found a few older early-to-mid eighties chevy trucks that had mostly complete V8's in them. I'll probably still be on the look out through Craigslist and Facebook marketplace for a donor vehicle though. That seems like the best idea, if I can find one. I guess I just don't want to go headfirst into this and have any more trial-and-error than I have to. I wanted to get a good idea of what I'm starting with, so that I can at least have some sort of plan going forward. As of right now, I know that I'll have to remove the V6 mounts and install V8 mounts. If I'm understanding your post correctly, are you saying that they're bolted to the cross member? I didn't know that and I haven't really taken a good look at mine yet, but I always thought the brackets were welded to the cross member.

Along with mounts, I now know that I'll need a fan shroud too. What you said makes sense, I just didn't think about it. As for the exhaust, I actually have two separate pipes running from front to back. There is a separate muffler for each, though I believe they are just cheap little Autozone-type mufflers, because they're pretty small. Basically, I'm going to assume the exhaust is not stock.

With all of the help and advice from this thread so far, I have a much better understanding of what I have and a general idea of where to go next. I appreciate all of the help so far. Hopefully I can get it inside the garage soon and get started. I'll be sure to update the thread if I find anything else out or make any progress. Thanks again!

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If you can find a donor car that is maybe a rust bucket but runs good and drives and has a 350 SBC I think you will farther ahead rather than getting something from a junkyard.
For the frame mounts it is easiest to just cut off all of the current bolts and source new ones for the SBC mounts, once it is up in the air there are access holes to get wrenches, swivels, extensions etc in there to get the new mounts in place, just get all 3 bolts on each side started before tightening.
1573301770271.png

1573301821308.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor