1984 Monte Carlo SS 6.0l & T56 Swap Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Been a while since I've posted in here, made some changes to the SS.

Installed TRZ Solid Aluminum Body Bushings to replace the older wore out factory ones..

junZUQA.jpg

Installing those lifted the whole car about 1/2" or so. Knowing that was going to happen I bought and installed UMI Performance Rear Springs, and cut 3/4 Coil from both of the front Eibach Springs that I've had in the car since I built it in 2010. Currently sitting looking like this here..

uPWNQx9.jpg

The solid body bushings definitely stiffened the car up, they don't dampen the road vibrations like the rubber ones did so you feel some stuff a little more, but other than that it drives pretty smooth and looks good.
:)

Reactions: 5 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Been a while since I've posted in here, made some changes to the SS.

Installed TRZ Solid Aluminum Body Bushings to replace the older wore out factory ones..

junZUQA.jpg

Installing those lifted the whole car about 1/2" or so. Knowing that was going to happen I bought and installed UMI Performance Rear Springs, and cut 3/4 Coil from both of the front Eibach Springs that I've had in the car since I built it in 2010. Currently sitting looking like this here..

uPWNQx9.jpg

The solid body bushings definitely stiffened the car up, they don't dampen the road vibrations like the rubber ones did so you feel some stuff a little more, but other than that it drives pretty smooth and looks good.
:)
Always wondered how the 'road feel' was on the solid vs rubber vs. poly debate.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
It doesn't bother me, about as stiff as my C5Z06. Its comfortable you just feel more stuff now. The rear gears have a little noise, that now is through the whole chassis.

Reactions: 1 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I put 2 poly bushings under the front cab mounts on my 1500. The difference in hitting cracks in the road was laughably bad. You couldn't put a drink in the cupholder in the dash, it would go everywhere. It would straight up knock your teeth out, I cannot exaggerate how horrible it was. When I replaced them with 2 clean junkyard rubber bushings the difference was immediately noticeable. Because of that, I've always been weary of stiffer bushings in anything. I wonder if it's not just the spring rates that made it so horrible in my truck? I don't consider my C5Z rough at all. Stiff, sure, but not obnoxious the way my truck was.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Yea it's no where near that stiff. That's odd for a 1500 given those trucks are pretty soft unless it had some aftermarket springs in it.

I did 2500 torsion bars, they were 2mm thicker than the stock ones, and 2500 rear leaves (with the newer GMT900 hydraulic rear body mounts). I really don't know if it's worse than stock or the same since I did the bars and poly mounts at the same time initially. Good to know I don't have to fear them on this car.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I think the difference can be attributed to the suspension's ability to function properly. A-arms that actually pivot vs merely twisting/flexing rubber bushings might be where the solid/poly body bushings are acceptable vs not. If the suspension pivots as needed vs. 'functional binding', I'm betting the harshness is diminished greatly.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I think the difference can be attributed to the suspension's ability to function properly. A-arms that actually pivot vs merely twisting/flexing rubber bushings might be where the solid/poly body bushings are acceptable vs not. If the suspension pivots as needed vs. 'functional binding', I'm betting the harshness is diminished greatly.

I'm not following, this is about body mount bushings not a arm bushings.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I'm not following, this is about body mount bushings not a arm bushings.
Yes... I understand that.

My statement is relative where binding a-arm bushings = a suspension that's not pivoting. Binding there (@ the suspension arm pivot points) + solid body bushings (poly or billet) would def yield a harsher transfer to ride quality vs a front & rear suspension that freely rotates @ the pivot points w/the same style of body bushing.

A-arms & rear links that pivot freely will allow the springs & shocks to do their respective jobs better. When that happens, the type of bushings holding the body to the frame become less important/critical to final ride quality. I'd be willing to bet those Z06 comparisons back up the logic as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor