1984 Monte Carlo SS - Awakened After a 15 Year Hibernation

Status
Not open for further replies.

IROCSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 23, 2007
Hey guys and gals (at least I hope there are some gals here :lol: ) ,

Just thought I would share my 1984 Monte Carlo SS with all of you. I have owned this car for almost 23 years and it's mostly factory original, mostly. I purchased the car with very low miles from the original owner almost new. In that time unfortunately, it has mostly been in storage, and I haven't had a chance to drive it for more than 15 years. A year ago, I brought the car home and decided to go through it, with the intention of driving it again. I had lowered the car a long long time ago, and wasn't very happy with the job I did waaaaay back then, so I decided that the time was right to re-engineer the suspension front to back. I'll spare all the gory details, and keep it relatively short, but up front are QA1 coil over shocks, with new everything in between and out back is a new H.D. Ford 9" rear with disc brakes and Eibach lowering coils and KYB shocks. I have just finished the suspension upgrades. A wheel alignment was the last thing I needed before I could enjoy the car again, and that happened last week. I have put a few miles on it since, and all is well so far. I'm much happier with the new components and ride quality is very good. I had a chance to do a brief shoot with the car over the weekend between rain storms and here's the result.

E_3914.jpg

P1000084.jpg

Up Front - QA1 coil overs, Bell Tech spindles, poly u/l control arm bushings, all new steering components and ball joints, poly end links, etc, etc

9-inch-1.jpg

H.D. 9" Ford rear, 3:50 posi, poly bushings, boxed c-arms etc.

Have a good one folks!

Blair
NITROIMAGE Photography
http://www.nitroimage.ca

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
best monte ever, unbelievable

Reactions: 1 user

IROCSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 23, 2007
Thanks guys -

redsx2434, no, definitely not the "best" Monte ever, I have seen some pretty awesome machines over here, but I appreciate your comments

Tony_ss, I haven't put a "lot" of miles on the new suspension yet, but I can honestly tell you that the QA1's are performing waaay better than I expected. Our city streets are not very smooth with more broken pavement than good asphalt. The ride up front is, well, perfect. It's smooth, clean, and definitely NOT harsh. I have the single adjustable units and I dialed them in about half way and unless I want to play, I'll just leave them alone. The car used to bottom out on the crossmember a lot before, because the ride height was too low, and the tires would bottom out on the inner fenders. Since I have had it out in the last week or so, it hasn't bottomed out AT ALL! Let me tell you that this makes the driving experience sooo much more pleasant. :wink:

btw, I'm quite impressed with your '79 Monte, very nice work!

Regards,
Blair

IROCSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 23, 2007
jonnyslick said:
Do you have the part number for the coilover conversion?

Well, let me pull out my file... here ya go - QA1 Pro Coil GMP1450-3

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
Looks sharp! Where are the brakes? What engine did you put in it to make use of that ford 9? Welcome to gbody forum.

85montess

Greasemonkey
Oct 20, 2007
CT
wow, nice work my friend. she is gorgeous. very nice!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor