1984 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Brougham

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Supporting Member
Aug 7, 2013
Québec City, Québec CANADA
Wondering what will I do to bench test this engine.

The engine can run, with a CCC-disconnected distributor and carb. Not going to bench test this with an extra ECM plugged in... or am I... Apparently, a disconnected mixture control solenoid on the Qjet will make the engine run very rich. Not sure what a disconnected CCC distributor will do (the 4-wire advance control plug), I guess that will make it impossible to test the engine at different RPMs.

On the other end, I could use (just for bench testing) a non CCC distributor -happen to have a turbo setup. Will make for a better bench testing, but, but but BUT I will need to replace the distributor once in the car, and, well, .... adds unknown variables - is that Turbo module any good, never tried it, bought years ago... what if it does not work, ... blargh.

Think I will just put the CCC distributor in, and make the bench testing really quick - before dropping the engine in the car with the full ECM/CCC wiring plugged in.

20230123_192111.jpg

Last edited:

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Supporting Member
Aug 7, 2013
Nice project journey!!! After reading all 36 pages...as much as I wanted you to see it through, there's a lengthy read over at gearhead-efi. The project was TBI odd fire Buick v6 that the thread starter couldn't get the "distributor ref pulse" to fire the injectors at the correct time. I can see employing a crank trigger might be the hot ticket.
Thanks for dropping by!

Yeah I quit the odd fire part - had to sell the engine because I moved :) Moved on to a turbo carb Buick V6 - even fire :)

Reactions: 1 user

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Supporting Member
Aug 7, 2013
After closer inspection... the CCC carb was not only missing a few screws, but that happened because some "internals" were removed, on top of the vaccum pulloffs and the choke. The pump was missing.

So I am playing with all these rods and tiny parts... using spare parts from retired Qjets & also ordered a few parts from quadrajetpower.com

The CCC metering rods were missing
... compared to my spare Turbo carb which had CP metering rods... so will use similar, a bit richer 440 rods. 🫠

Unsurprisingly, the carb is very clean.

20230124_172450.jpg

20230124_173724.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Supporting Member
Aug 7, 2013
Shelving the carburator until I get the missing parts, should be next week.

Turbo cleaned and installed. Will have to think about what to do with the header-to-turbo pipe. Fabrication required.

20230125_103337.jpg

IMG_20230125_142021.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Show a close up of the header and pipe. I imagine you want as little restriction as possible but I am no blow through turbo expert. Crazy how small the intake flange is.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact Admin@GBodyForum.com for info on becoming a sponsor