1984 Pontiac Grand Prix - Milwaukee Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
I found out the years that GM switched to plastic steering columns are 1984-1987 stupid idea!

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
Do you remember where in Milwaukee it was taken from? I live right in the area and haven't noticed one like yours other than a dark blue one that was super clean that was at local cruise in's alot, about 4-5 years ago. Don't recall the exact year, I want to say it was 86-87, it was all stock with a 305 too, IIRC. I just joined and this is the first thread I saw....figured I'm in the area and have always noticed g-bodies good and bad around here for 10+ years since I got into them.

I've always been anal in protecting mine too, g-bodies are too easy to take and especially if yours is nice...it should be protected.

HurstOlds

Master Mechanic
Sep 21, 2007
Illinois
it was stolen from the Milwaukee School of Engineering school parking lot. it was back when the parking lot was located underneath the highway. It was kind of near Water Street.

The MSOE parking lot has since been moved and that whole area has been revamped.

HurstOlds

Master Mechanic
Sep 21, 2007
Illinois
midwestls said:
I like these, they work great I got a buddy that caught two guys in his Cutlass tryin too get past it. Needless to say they both met an aluminum bat :lol: :lol:

https://www.kirbanperformance.com/produ ... e+GNX.html

Thank you! What one would you recommend for an '83 Cutlass with center sonsole shifter? This one: 7007 Buick Regal 3.8 1978-1987 ????

Can I leave this one on at all times? And does this work with tilt steering columns? I see the two holes, I would assume one is for turn signal the other is for tilt. But I don't see a hole for the ignition, that makes me think i can't just leave it on.

I don't know where theives break columns, so pardon me if my question is dumb about being able to leave this collar on all the time

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
I know the area well....its changed but not entirely, at least Water St....I know MSOE has. I know of a guy who had a TR stolen from Water St earlier this decade as well, they found it months later abandoned after the power master setup failed, it had the VIN switched to a 80's Skylark, new carpet and was in primer, IIRC....saw a post on a Turbo Buick site a long time ago about it and also saw the car a couple times post-recovery at cruise ins, I think he had a new VIN stamped on the door by the DMV. I used to drive my cars rarely down there, don't go bar hopping as much anymore and have a daily beater to keep them safe. An old beater 86' Monte LS I had, someone got the door open right on Water St in a parking lot one night while out, but the cheapie noise alarm must of scared them away. Water St is an ok area but its only a minute in a couple directions from absolute garbage/ghetto.

As for columns, I've used and been happy with the bright red removable column guard found at Pep Boys and I think on e-bay too. The column part broken is cheap metal, not plastic....pretty easy to do with a screwdriver/vicegrips or whatnot. I've seen many theft recovery cars at local salvage yards and some wannabe theives must practice on junkyard cars too, a fresh g-body will come in with a good column and a month later or two when I go back the column is busted where they do it to hot-wire. Real nice :roll: .

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
can somebody verify what material these 84-87 columns are made of.
I am sure that they are made from some synthetic material and not metal.
They sure don't break like metal and they don't sound like metal when you tap on them!

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
The upper pieces around the turn signal and such are plastic.
The collar below that they chip threw is made of die-cast metal. That's why it breaks apart the way it does.

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
but what's the difference between the 84-87 compared to the rest of them. I remember reading somewhere that they used plastic for the collars on these 84-87 columns. There is a difference between them and say a 1980-1983 one

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
The collar on my '85 442 that was broken apart when it was stolen was metal.

The collar on the column from the '87 Olds that I replaced it with was metal as well.

To be honest, I've never heard of a plastic collar on the column. Every one that I've seen (quite a few) has been made of die-cast metal.

Could be a non g-body deal... Those style columns went into a lot of cars in those days...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor