1984 Registry

Status
Not open for further replies.

hot air 84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 24, 2016
The registry is gradually being populated as more "Hot Air" owners become aware of it. Check it out on Facebook. Attached are word and pdf files showing the registrants so far. (Oops - won't let me post word doc, so email me if you want a word copy [email protected]) If you know any 1984 owners please make them aware.

It is broken into three categories:
1 - the 100 GNs sold into Canada in 1984
2 - the 1900 GNs sold into the USA in 1984, and
3 - the 3401 turbo T-Types sold (could be 3200 - still trying to track exact number).

Personally, I am the second owner of one of the 100, 1984 GNs sold into Canada and one of the 4 sold in the Ottawa, Ontario, Canada area. My ride has 95 RPOs on the SPID and 5 aluminum RPOs including the hood, although I question that since it is still pretty heavy. I have owned it since 1988 and drive it 1600 mile to Florida every winter (started taking autotrain last couple of years so only 800 miles now).

Attachments

• DRAFT REGISTRY as at July 20, 2021.pdf
    524.9 KB · Views: 180
Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
The registry is gradually being populated as more "Hot Air" owners become aware of it. Check it out on Facebook. Attached are word and pdf files showing the registrants so far. (Oops - won't let me post word doc, so email me if you want a word copy [email protected]) If you know any 1984 owners please make them aware.

It is broken into three categories:
1 - the 100 GNs sold into Canada in 1984
2 - the 1900 GNs sold into the USA in 1984, and
3 - the 3401 turbo T-Types sold (could be 3200 - still trying to track exact number).

Personally, I am the second owner of one of the 100, 1984 GNs sold into Canada and one of the 4 sold in the Ottawa, Ontario, Canada area. My ride has 95 RPOs on the SPID and 5 aluminum RPOs including the hood, although I question that since it is still pretty heavy. I have owned it since 1988 and drive it 1600 mile to Florida every winter (started taking autotrain last couple of years so only 800 miles now).
FWIW be careful where you pull your RPO decoder info from. Some sites get it wrong, and a different code could mean a somewhat different thing through the years. Sure, g80 will always be a Ltd slip, and gear ratios were fairly constant. GM liked to use option codes to denote something special for the model line, but did reuse codes through the years to be entirely different items.

For a simple example, n78 wheels could mean a 1979 H/O aluminum wheel.... or, n78 was also the code for the wheel on the 1982gn/1983 ttype regal.

Fwiw, there wasn't any aluminum hood on any 81-87 style regal. Nor trunk lid. Nor aluminum core support. Brake drums on a non-posi 8.5, front and rear bumper supports, those were your biggies for alum on the 84-87 TRs from the factory.

Is this a new registry, or, a revival/continuation of the one started decades ago and publicized through gnttype/turbobuick?

• Agree
  • Informative

hot air 84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 24, 2016
FWIW be careful where you pull your RPO decoder info from. Some sites get it wrong, and a different code could mean a somewhat different thing through the years. Sure, g80 will always be a Ltd slip, and gear ratios were fairly constant. GM liked to use option codes to denote something special for the model line, but did reuse codes through the years to be entirely different items.

For a simple example, n78 wheels could mean a 1979 H/O aluminum wheel.... or, n78 was also the code for the wheel on the 1982gn/1983 ttype regal.

Fwiw, there wasn't any aluminum hood on any 81-87 style regal. Nor trunk lid. Nor aluminum core support. Brake drums on a non-posi 8.5, front and rear bumper supports, those were your biggies for alum on the 84-87 TRs from the factory.

Is this a new registry, or, a revival/continuation of the one started decades ago and publicized through gnttype/turbobuick?
I have used the letter I got from GM directly that gave descriptions for the 95 RPO codes for my own 1984 GN. Where a registrant has a different RPO code from the ones I know to have descriptors for 1984, then I don't post it. I mentioned that the RPO code for an aluminum hood was suspect because I felt the hood was too heavy; however, the code is on my SPID on My 1984 GN. I know the previous owner and I know the dealership that first sold it, and they say the RPO code is correct. Don't want to damge my paint so not going to drag a magnet across it. Aluminum or not, I am just reporting the RPO code on the SPID. I am using only my own documented info and the documents I receive from registrants (photos of SPID/ window sticker photo/letters from GM).

Glad to have sparked some thoughts. thanks - Please refer any '84 owners you know of.

I searched and searched for the old registry without success so I thought I would give it a shot. It is a PITA to get participation but what the hell I'ma gonna give it a shot!

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Don't want to damage my paint so not going to drag a magnet across it. Aluminum or not,
When you open the hood there should be exposed metal to test it on and if you are worried about paint use a microfiber towel under the magnet just make sure the magnet is strong enough to pull through the towel on test metal.

Attachments

• IMG_20210725_173858718.jpg
    IMG_20210725_173858718.jpg
    423.6 KB · Views: 124

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
My white factory paint from new 85 firebird has an rpo that in the 1990s means Hawaiian Orchid, which also would've not been a base firebird color anyways. But it didn't mean that in 1985.

But beauty of superceded codes and numbers coupled with crappy gm record keeping means some idiot will say I have an rpo for Hawaiian Orchid color...

In other news an aluminum 81-87 turbo regal hood came from the same parts bin as the solid main web 403 engine block....

hot air 84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 24, 2016
Registry is now up to 89 registrants. I had it reviewed by the GNX registry guys and they gave me a few good suggestions. I have rec'd a number of "good on you man" compliments and although a little tough to keep track of sometimes, I am going to continue.

I have purchased a domain name and am having my son build and host the site.

I send out monthly updates via blind cc email.

Again, if you own a 1984 turbo Regal of any kind, consider registering your ride - four categories:

1 - 100 sold into Canada
2 - 1900 sold into the USA
3 - 2238 T-Type
4 - 1163 WH1

Please encourage any 1984 owners that you know to join up.

[email protected]

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Good luck with the registry.

Aluminum hoods are easy to tell when you open the hood. If it's ultra easy to open, you may be on to something. If it feels heavy, likely it's steel. As mentioned, you don't have to drag a magnet on anything. Just attempt to stick a small refrigerator magnet (like those rockauto.com ones) to the back of the hood flange in front when you open the hood. If it sticks, it's not aluminum. And it won't scratch. Simple and takes 2 seconds.

Three things that are different on aluminum hoods- the 2 springs/assist rod(s), and the pop-up spring. They're lighter duty than regular steel hood parts. Also, I cannot find ANY reference to an aluminum hood for a Turbo. 78-80 part numbers specifically state an aluminum hood part number for non-turbo cars, and a steel and Turbo application part number. This tells me there were very likely no 78-80 aluminum hood turbo cars. I know that doesn't cover 84, but sometimes they didn't put aluminum on certain models/cars for whatever reason. I know the 84 H/O did not have an aluminum hood option nor ever seen an aluminum front bumper support on one (they riveted the lower front air dam brackets to it at C&C). Not saying they definitely didn't have an aluminum turbo hood, but I can't find a single aluminum turbo hood part number for 78-87. This doesn't prove anything, but it seems unlikely your hood was aluminum from the factory. 25512114 is the only turbo hood part number I can find to fit an 84, and it's for a 67 pound steel hood. It's my guesstimation you don't want to verify it because it'll become real when that magnet sticks.

Have you owned the car since new? Do you know for sure the previous owner didn't swipe and change out the aluminum hood, if it even came with one? RPO's stuck on a SPID aren't the end all, be all. And they DO mess up every now and again. For example, every VIN 9 Oldsmobile (Hurst and 442) had to cover up the upper bumper cover "flange" in front. They had a small, chrome piece cover plate for regular Cutlass, but did not have one that was paintable for the VIN 9 Olds cars, thus they fitted all H/O and 442 with RPO VK3, the front license plate holder (although the ads and pre-pro cars for 442 used a cover plate). They even included a Hurst/Olds front plate for the H/Os. But you were on your own for 442. However, there are proven examples of some 442 SPID's not showing VK3 on the SPIDs. Yet they all came with them. Paperwork didn't always match up to the car exactly.

hot air 84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 24, 2016
Good luck with the registry.

Aluminum hoods are easy to tell when you open the hood. If it's ultra easy to open, you may be on to something. If it feels heavy, likely it's steel. As mentioned, you don't have to drag a magnet on anything. Just attempt to stick a small refrigerator magnet (like those rockauto.com ones) to the back of the hood flange in front when you open the hood. If it sticks, it's not aluminum. And it won't scratch. Simple and takes 2 seconds.

Three things that are different on aluminum hoods- the 2 springs/assist rod(s), and the pop-up spring. They're lighter duty than regular steel hood parts. Also, I cannot find ANY reference to an aluminum hood for a Turbo. 78-80 part numbers specifically state an aluminum hood part number for non-turbo cars, and a steel and Turbo application part number. This tells me there were very likely no 78-80 aluminum hood turbo cars. I know that doesn't cover 84, but sometimes they didn't put aluminum on certain models/cars for whatever reason. I know the 84 H/O did not have an aluminum hood option nor ever seen an aluminum front bumper support on one (they riveted the lower front air dam brackets to it at C&C). Not saying they definitely didn't have an aluminum turbo hood, but I can't find a single aluminum turbo hood part number for 78-87. This doesn't prove anything, but it seems unlikely your hood was aluminum from the factory. 25512114 is the only turbo hood part number I can find to fit an 84, and it's for a 67 pound steel hood. It's my guesstimation you don't want to verify it because it'll become real when that magnet sticks.

Have you owned the car since new? Do you know for sure the previous owner didn't swipe and change out the aluminum hood, if it even came with one? RPO's stuck on a SPID aren't the end all, be all. And they DO mess up every now and again. For example, every VIN 9 Oldsmobile (Hurst and 442) had to cover up the upper bumper cover "flange" in front. They had a small, chrome piece cover plate for regular Cutlass, but did not have one that was paintable for the VIN 9 Olds cars, thus they fitted all H/O and 442 with RPO VK3, the front license plate holder (although the ads and pre-pro cars for 442 used a cover plate). They even included a Hurst/Olds front plate for the H/Os. But you were on your own for 442. However, there are proven examples of some 442 SPID's not showing VK3 on the SPIDs. Yet they all came with them. Paperwork didn't always match up to the car exactly.
From everything I have read, there were no aluminum hoods on our cars. Mine is super heavy and I have replaced the hood struts once because they wouldn't hold up the hood. Bumper reinforcements are definitely aluminum. I took mine apart when I replaced the bumper fillers and they were not rusted - they were corroded. White dust everywhere from the wire wheel to clean them up and they were super light.

Thanks for your feedback and good wishes. I am having some fun with this project; conversing via messenger and emails with many 1984 turbo Regal owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor