Status
Not open for further replies.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I'm restoring my 1984 regal back to it's original header panel style (it's an 84) not sure why or how it ended up with an 83 & lower style front end I bought it that way.

My questions are do I need to remove my bumper in order to install my new header panel?

Do I need new bumper fillers or can I use my 83 & lower bumper fillers ?

So far I have the header panel & headlight bezels gonna order a new grill tomorrow
You need new bumper fillers, but you can install without removing the bumper

Reactions: 1 users

39F

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2019
Pittsburgh PA
Don't buy that abs plastic fillers ones either they fit like trash just put mine in other day had to redrill all the holes and swear one is shorter then the other

Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Yes, you will need the 84' and up bumper fillers and since they mount to the header panel and also the fender the front bumper does need be removed since it slides over the front portion of the fillers.
I bought the Goodmark fillers and they look and fit like the original ones but cost more.

20171125_194036_resized.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Thank you sir Goodmark it is! I'm loving the way yours is coming out btw 👌🔥
Thanks, this is it at the moment the last time I took it to work
IMG_20210514_163222141.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Yes, you will need the 84' and up bumper fillers and since they mount to the header panel and also the fender the front bumper does need be removed since it slides over the front portion of the fillers.
I bought the Goodmark fillers and they look and fit like the original ones but cost more.

View attachment 177562
Disagree.

I've installed and removed many times with bumper in place. You install the header panel first, then the bumper fillers separate.

Fillers you slide in from the side and below. Lying on the ground you fasten to the header panel from below, then get the sides. Easy to do, and much faster/easier than wrestling with the heavy bumper

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Thanks for your input sir 🙏
Quite welcome.

If in doubt, I'd say try removing the 1983 style bumper fillers currently there before you pull the header panel off the car as a practice run. It will familiarize you with how the install of the new ones would go.

A 1/4" drive with extension set makes things easier getting the bolts on and off. Shouldn't take you too long.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Disagree.

I've installed and removed many times with bumper in place. You install the header panel first, then the bumper fillers separate.

Fillers you slide in from the side and below. Lying on the ground you fasten to the header panel from below, then get the sides. Easy to do, and much faster/easier than wrestling with the heavy bumper
That's fine, for me it was just easier not to have the bumper in the way, it's only 8 nuts and it then gives me a straight shot and easy access to install the header panel, bumper fillers and new grill, plus also not knowing what kind of fitment issues I might have with aftermarket parts and getting everything aligned.
I also didn't feel it was a big deal to R & R the bumper plus I will be removing it get the car painted anyways so I felt like it was a good time to clean up all of my rusty stud plates and put on new nuts.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor