442 1985 - 1987 442 - Claret Interior Paint Color

Status
Not open for further replies.

SurferBill25

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 11, 2022
Is there a paint code for the '85 - '87 442s? Specifically the Claret color.

I've been repairing a small crack in the consle plastic just in front of the ash tray. The crack is now repaired, so I just need to paint the repair to match the color of the Claret console. I have an old can of Duplicolor touch up paint that I used when I first installed the console for a set of Lightning Rods. It matched the color of the console exactly, but it is empty, and Duplicolor has discontinued that color (DSGM 353 Dark Red Metallic). I have searched all the local auto stores (Advance Auto, Auto Zone, NAPA, O'Reilly's) for a color that is close, but they are all too light (or bright). Have tried Chrysler Dark Garnet Red (BCC0413), GM Dark Torreador Metallic (BGM0521), and GM Addiction Red (BGM0596), but they are all very similar to each other and all too light. One that looks like it may be a little darker is GM 76 Dark Garnet Red (BGM0532), but I was not able to locate that locally.

I'm not aware that there is a paint code for the interior colors, but thought that someone in this forum might know.

Attachments

• 1985 Oldsmobile 442 - Duplicolor DSGM 353 Dark Red M - General Motors - Alongside Console Repair.JPG
    1985 Oldsmobile 442 - Duplicolor DSGM 353 Dark Red M - General Motors - Alongside Console Repair.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 88
  • 1985 Oldsmobile 442 - BCC0400 Duplicolor Deep Cranberry Pearl.JPG
    1985 Oldsmobile 442 - BCC0400 Duplicolor Deep Cranberry Pearl.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 83
  • 1985 Oldsmobile 442 - BFM0288 Dark Canyon Red - Ford Code EH 2H 44.JPG
    1985 Oldsmobile 442 - BFM0288 Dark Canyon Red - Ford Code EH 2H 44.JPG
    195.6 KB · Views: 86
  • 1985 Oldsmobile 442 - BGM0532 WA9154 - GM Codw 76 Dark Garnet Red.JPG
    1985 Oldsmobile 442 - BGM0532 WA9154 - GM Codw 76 Dark Garnet Red.JPG
    195.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 1985 Oldsmobile 442 - BHY1801 Hyundai Code DR Dark Cherry Red.JPG
    1985 Oldsmobile 442 - BHY1801 Hyundai Code DR Dark Cherry Red.JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 88

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
The GM color code is 79, Dark Claret. You may find it as 79x with x being the letter code for the trim used. PPG code 51170 for semi gloss, 51085 for low gloss. Should be able to get a pint mixed by a PPG mixer or cross it to SEM or another brand instead of fighting with matching a modern color hue. BTW, it seems like touch up spray can selection is getting smaller for color choices with it only seems like Duplicolor being the only brand out there now.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

SurferBill25

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 11, 2022
The GM color code is 79, Dark Claret. You may find it as 79x with x being the letter code for the trim used. PPG code 51170 for semi gloss, 51085 for low gloss. Should be able to get a pint mixed by a PPG mixer or cross it to SEM or another brand instead of fighting with matching a modern color hue. BTW, it seems like touch up spray can selection is getting smaller for color choices with it only seems like Duplicolor being the only brand out there now.
Super!! Thanks very much! Very helpful, and I greatly appreciate your information! Would the consoles be semi or low gloss?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
If you're trying spot repair, good luck. I once had a saddle interior on an 87 Salon I needed to match console color for, and the Duplicolor and any other ready to go colors were either too bright or too dark. The console lid was darker for whatever reason and I couldn't find a new one in saddle. I ended up going to a paint supply place and got a custom-matched pint mixed to exactly match what was there. That was the only time I've done it, so that may not be much help.

The point is, if you just tell the paint shop to mix you up some PPG number 51170, they will. But now, will it exactly match what you have there? The only way to ensure it matches is to do the entire part. But because the tolerances are only as good as the guy mixing the stuff, the shade may not be exact with the area around it. Depends on how much a stickler you are for the details. I'd say maybe try to blend it like say, fender paint but I'm not sure you can do that with plastic paints.

Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
As 69hurstolds brought up & I forgot is with interior colors there is not 100% match regardless of getting the right gloss. Even new the colors varied buy different plastic lots, spray lots, fabric lots, etc... Currently age & amount of exposed sun light will change the hue. Best bet is going to recolor the whole part so a repair spot won't stand out. Even with spraying out of the same can from the same preparied batch will vary based on air temp & humidity at the time sprayed.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

SurferBill25

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 11, 2022
If you're trying spot repair, good luck. I once had a saddle interior on an 87 Salon I needed to match console color for, and the Duplicolor and any other ready to go colors were either too bright or too dark. The console lid was darker for whatever reason and I couldn't find a new one in saddle. I ended up going to a paint supply place and got a custom-matched pint mixed to exactly match what was there. That was the only time I've done it, so that may not be much help.

The point is, if you just tell the paint shop to mix you up some PPG number 51170, they will. But now, will it exactly match what you have there? The only way to ensure it matches is to do the entire part. But because the tolerances are only as good as the guy mixing the stuff, the shade may not be exact with the area around it. Depends on how much a stickler you are for the details. I'd say maybe try to blend it like say, fender paint but I'm not sure you can do that with plastic paints.
Thanks for the info! I may try a small spot and see how that turns out.

SurferBill25

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 11, 2022
As 69hurstolds brought up & I forgot is with interior colors there is not 100% match regardless of getting the right gloss. Even new the colors varied buy different plastic lots, spray lots, fabric lots, etc... Currently age & amount of exposed sun light will change the hue. Best bet is going to recolor the whole part so a repair spot won't stand out. Even with spraying out of the same can from the same preparied batch will vary based on air temp & humidity at the time sprayed.
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor