1985-1987 442 Gold Wheel Paint Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
This question comes up from time to time. And then someone finally puts in an answer. While looking for another 442-related file on my computer today, I ran across some paint "notes" I had buried somewhere concerning this subject.

Here we go. If anyone has more/better info to add, have at it.

The Gold is GM code 53, aka WA7725, which was used as an exterior color for the 1984-1987 Corvette. Only place I know it was ever used as an exterior paint.

0001.jpg

Paint manufacturers have internal codes for the gold. They are as follows...

Dupont - B8327
Glasurit - GM-7725
PPG/Ditzler - 3609
RM/BASF - 13117
Sherwin Williams - 33146

It does not have huge metalflake in it. It has a luster, but it's not sparkly like the GM wheel silver that's so prevalent on the later aluminum wheels.

Duplicolor 294, Camel Tan, is a very close match to it. The shade is very slightly off, but if you used it on all 4, it is very unlikely nobody would ever notice.

The pinstripe- closest I could find was 3/16" 3M striping tape. p/n 70503 for the roll. NOS rim on the left. Refurbished wheel with Duplicolor 294 and 3M stripe tape on the right.

goldwheelcompare1.jpg

goldwheelcompare2.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: 10 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I forgot to note that over time, the factory gold takes on different hues and will turn darker due to cleaning chemicals and exposure. I've seen original wheel gold turn an almost coppery color. So I'm guessing the shade being a hair off is not an issue. Keep in mind that paint formulations are like dye colors. It's not unusual to have shade variances. A lot of body shops used to use shade cards to try and match up body paint due to weathering/age and original mixing differences.

Case in point, when the very early Ruby Red and the White 2010 Camaros were starting to be made, the bumper covers were painted with a very noticeable shade difference (painted separate than the car). They got it figured out, but that was after hundreds of customers complained about the obvious shade difference. And GM basically didn't do much if anything to help resolve those with issues.

Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Case in point, when the very early Ruby Red and the White 2010 Camaros were starting to be made, the bumper covers were painted with a very noticeable shade difference (painted separate than the car). They got it figured out, but that was after hundreds of customers complained about the obvious shade difference. And GM basically didn't do much if anything to help resolve those with issues.
Years back PPG printed a disclaimer for body shops & paint suppy stores stating that there is no guarantee for color match between the metal & plastic body panels with either OE parts/paint or aftermarket parts/paint. I've seen many new cars with shade differences between metal & plastic panels. Must be something with the plastic used in the past 20-25 years in panels. Funny thing is that older yellow urathane panels don't see this issue as much.

Reactions: 2 users
Nov 4, 2012
Those look really great. I've always really liked the Oldsmobile style rally wheels.

There can be a ton of variations within individual paint colors, not to mention the fading that occurs, which adds a whole other factor. Gold colors are often the worst offenders in my experience. Just look at any gold colored late 90s Toyota Camry. There can be variations of the same paint code from different dates, and different plants, not to mention that they can appear different on different substrates. The worst example I remember from when I was working auto body was a Chrysler minivan, I think I repaired a quarter or maybe doors on. By trial and error, I found out that there were 8 or 9 variations of the same exact same paint code, depending on the plant it was built at and the date of manufacture. Ended up painting it twice. Whoops.

Nov 4, 2012
Years back PPG printed a disclaimer for body shops & paint suppy stores stating that there is no guarantee for color match between the metal & plastic body panels with either OE parts/paint or aftermarket parts/paint. I've seen many new cars with shade differences between metal & plastic panels. Must be something with the plastic used in the past 20-25 years in panels. Funny thing is that older yellow urathane panels don't see this issue as much.

I know the exact sheet you are referring to, I think I still have it around somewhere. I think it had a blue car on it? Colours (used to be Miller's) was our paint supplier, they gave it to me one time after I had a hard time matching a bumper on a red Cadillac.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I know the exact sheet you are referring to, I think I still have it around somewhere. I think it had a blue car on it? Colours (used to be Miller's) was our paint supplier, they gave it to me one time after I had a hard time matching a bumper on a red Cadillac.
Did Colours buy up the Ditzler store (as we always called it growing up) on North Side off Perrysville by Perry HS? That has my go to store when I was living down that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor