1985 Chevy 350 timing tab

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
My buddy has a Malibu with a complete 1985 Chevy truck 350 swapped into it. I think it was a from a pickup, C10 or something like that. We cannot find the timing tab to check the timing, which we feel is retarded causing low vacuum and overheating. We tried looking straight down behind the water pump, and at 2 O'clock under the power steering pump. Please don't say it is at 10 O'clock under the alternator and air pump, as you couldn't get a mouse to fit in there. I'm not a Chevy guy so set me in the right direction, please.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Mine on my 355 and 400 is at about 2 o'clock below the power steering pump. If its there you really cant miss it depending on how much sh*t is in the way. I have also had a 350 from a 78 truck with no timing tab. Idk if it was like that from the factory but the timing tab was missing. Hope this helps . . .

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Thank's. That's what I'm afraid of, it may be missing. That might explain why the timing hasn't been touched since the motor was swapped. I plan on eyeballing it again with a flexible shaft light.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
It's most likely missing. I want to think that the 81-85 engines may have used it in the 12 o'clock position but nut really sure on that. It sounds like you really don't want to put a lot of effort into it but you could use a piston stop to find tdc and then make your own pointer.
Or what i'd do is just advance it til it pings then back her off some, lol.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I actually wanted to use a vacuum gauge just to get it from overheating. The owner is a worry-wart and I am about to tell him to go scratch. It's just that when things don't work right it irritates me.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
I pulled a 350 out of an '85 K-5 Blazer I had gotten for free, and put it in the 442 after I blew up the 307.

That motor also did not have a timing tab.
I went down to Champion Auto (now Checker) and bought a cheapo chrome for like $8 and was good to go.
Thankfully SBC parts literally are everywhere... :lol:

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094
jrm81bu said:
It's most likely missing. I want to think that the 81-85 engines may have used it in the 12 o'clock position but nut really sure on that. It sounds like you really don't want to put a lot of effort into it but you could use a piston stop to find tdc and then make your own pointer.
Or what i'd do is just advance it til it pings then back her off some, lol.
I have seen this and think he is correct on yrs. But it should be easy to figure out just by pulling the number one plug and bring motor to TDC and see where the groove in balancer is located If its at 12 or 2 you would know what timing tab you should have.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
So the chances are good it's just not there. I have fabbed up timing pointers before. OK, thank's, I will have to get my humanitarian side in gear and try to help again. A few beers will probably make it easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor