1985 El Camino engine harness help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fili

n00b
Jan 17, 2018
So I got my hands on my first G Body. It’s a 85 El Camino SS (I believe). Anyways I bought the car from somebody who was planning on LS swapping it. I bought the car with no engine or transmission and front clip off. Missing the engine harness and the harness that hooks up to the Ecm. Only have the lights harness and the AC wires which I pulled out. I’m putting a carbed 355 SBC in it. So my question is what cars and what years can I use a harness off of?

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
really any v8 g body harness will work. these cars aren't super complicated. is the harness gone, or cut up? i'd go to a junkyard either way and just start cuttin up stuff that i need. this site has a lot of useful info on wiring and diagrams of such. http://www.maliburacing.com/wiring.html

Fili

n00b
Jan 17, 2018
really any v8 g body harness will work. these cars aren't super complicated. is the harness gone, or cut up? i'd go to a junkyard either way and just start cuttin up stuff that i need. this site has a lot of useful info on wiring and diagrams of such. http://www.maliburacing.com/wiring.html
I believe I will end up keeping my engine harness off and just keep factory light harness and just run whatever wires I need it’s just going to be a basic set up. Another question with me removing my computer and engine harness and all the ac crap will I have any issues with my power windows and power locks? Be patient with me I’m by no means a wiring guy lol

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I believe I will end up keeping my engine harness off and just keep factory light harness and just run whatever wires I need it’s just going to be a basic set up. Another question with me removing my computer and engine harness and all the ac crap will I have any issues with my power windows and power locks? Be patient with me I’m by no means a wiring guy lol
Nope. Separate harnesses. There's really nothing in the g body harness that doesn't need to be there. The computer harness is a whole separate deal. And since it's already gone, you should put a flat grommet in the firewall near the passenger door to keep debris from getting in, OR, alternatively, you could mount an MSD box in the kick panel like the factory did with the ecm and run all that stuff through that hole. You should consider getting a chilton/haynes manual for your car. They're really helpful. That site I linked has some really good diagrams. Really all you need is the charging and starting diagrams to get it to run.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor