1985 elky rpo code location

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy4elkys

Apprentice
Dec 3, 2017
Upper SC
I know my 1985 elky is a ss, looked in glove box for the rpo list with no luck. A friend told me the cowl tag shows the same info. Is this true?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
The Z15 SS RPO will only be on the SPID sticker in the glove box. From what I've seen on any SS (Monte or Elky) they never put the RPO on the Fisher Body plate.

Reactions: 1 user

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
you've either got a cowl tag or a glovebox sticker, not both. head over to ElCaminoCentral.com for people who will tell you every disgusting detail about elkies.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Z15 was also the code for the 85 GMC Diablo. SS's did not have exclusivity on that RPO. They basically came with the same equipment and striping. Just a different name badge on the dash and other places.

In 1985, there are cars WITH a SPID sticker and a cowl tag (lansing liked to do cowl tags too), and there are cars with just a SPID (especially most, but not all, Arlington cars). They started SPIDs in 1984 for autos, and figured no more need for a body plate as well. Every car was supposed to have a SPID, for the service part of the dealerships to quickly verify option codes on vehicles instead of checking per VIN and all that. Trucks already had these for years. This may have been something Fisher was wanting to do or something else. But there were still some cars in 85 that came with both. If they made some cars with just cowl tags in 1985, I'd be interested in seeing those.

Since Elkys were trucks, I don't see why they wouldn't at least have a SPID. This is where you'd find your Z15 RPO. Doubt it would be on the cowl plate if there was one because it apparently didn't seem to be a major option, although it did change some appearance stuff. I think the two-tone looked sharp.

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
Z15 was also the code for the 85 GMC Diablo. SS's did not have exclusivity on that RPO. They basically came with the same equipment and striping. Just a different name badge on the dash and other places.

In 1985, there are cars WITH a SPID sticker and a cowl tag (lansing liked to do cowl tags too), and there are cars with just a SPID (especially most, but not all, Arlington cars). They started SPIDs in 1984 for autos, and figured no more need for a body plate as well. Every car was supposed to have a SPID, for the service part of the dealerships to quickly verify option codes on vehicles instead of checking per VIN and all that. Trucks already had these for years. This may have been something Fisher was wanting to do or something else. But there were still some cars in 85 that came with both. If they made some cars with just cowl tags in 1985, I'd be interested in seeing those.

Since Elkys were trucks, I don't see why they wouldn't at least have a SPID. This is where you'd find your Z15 RPO. Doubt it would be on the cowl plate if there was one because it apparently didn't seem to be a major option, although it did change some appearance stuff. I think the two-tone looked sharp.
two-tone does look good but the Conquista models were also 2-tone and were definitely not a Z15. I have a Conquista sub-model with no Z15 on my SPID

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Totally aware of that. I think we're on the same page here. I didn't mention the Conquistas/Amarillo versions because you couldn't get Z15 on those even if you wanted to. They're a different animal. I was only talking about the Caballero Diablos with Z15. AFAIK, it was the "Diablo Decor Package" or something like that for the GMC's. Came with deleted wheel openings and lower moldings, pin stripes for splitting the two-tone colors (Conquista/Amarillo had chrome side moldings), front air dam, matching sport mirrors, and sport wheels, two-tone paint and stripes and Diablo dash emblems (Super Sport for Chevy), and blacked-out quarter window trim, just like the "SS Sport Decor Package" which was on the Chevies.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor