1985 Monte rear end gear ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryflyby

n00b
Sep 11, 2010
I have a 1985 Monte stock V6 which I am in the process of re working for ice racing. I have redone a 350 v8 with a 350 turbo transmission and have concerns about the rear end set up. Could someone help with setup on gear ratio I have in the car now or make any recommendations on what I need for speed. On a 1/4 mile ice track, we are in 1st gear at high rpm most of the time. sometimes 2nd.Thanks......

85montemj

Greasemonkey
Nov 4, 2009
What do you mean by "high rpm's"? What range?

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
5500? 6000 RPM?

Put a 6.0 or lower gear in it :twisted: Thats what my dad runs on dirt and its great

85montemj

Greasemonkey
Nov 4, 2009
Sounds like curling.....but freaking awesome.

Ryflyby

n00b
Sep 11, 2010
4000-5000rpm. Ice racing around these parts keeps getting bigger. there are two classes Open which you can race anything and stock which is basically rear wheel drive V8. tires are not studded which makes it fun. all of our tires are from north carolina and specially made for this. the track is 1/3 mile oval about on a frozen lake. it gets plowed and in the corners water is pumped for slusshy traction. is fun as hell. great way to waste a sunday in the winter. the cars really get up and go. Poor mans racing. and the kicker is you can have a copilot. people come out just to ride.

KCEE442

Greasemonkey
Apr 2, 2008
Long Island, NY
That sounds soo sick! do you have any vids?

Ryflyby

n00b
Sep 11, 2010
for info and vids check out www.sinnissippiiceracing.com. The footage doesnt come close to the experience in the car. We are expecting 30 cars in the feature this season. Bang bang.

I have the car running now. The rear end seems to be just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor