1985 Olds 442 - 36k original miles

Trader history for Pettrix (0)

Deadeyejedi80

Deadeyejedi80

Apprentice
Apr 8, 2018
Saratoga springs ny
that is absurd ! i see alot of cars on oldsmobile central way overpriced not sure why .that is a very nice car but he'll be lucky to get half that .

S

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
Thanks for posting that, been in the market to find one that clean with t tops. They are few and far between like this one and most of them posted are not as nice as people claim

Reactions: rogue_ryder
rogue_ryder

rogue_ryder

Greasemonkey
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
The problem is the Demand. The pricing on these ultra clean ultra low mileage 442s in the high 20s was actually a pretty good value when you consider what absolute sh!tboxes are selling for $5000 - $7000 and it would take more than $20,000 to restore those cars to the same condition and they still aren't "orignal low mile" examples. The Hurst and 442s have relatively low production numbers and of those originally produced few remain, many were crushed or rotted out. These cars also don't have warehouses full of NOS parts nor every last part reproduced like the A bodies of the late 60s and early 70s, which should also make the all original low mile mint condition car command a premium.

Back to that demand thing though. Even though the collectabilty rationale is there for these cars being "valuable" not many people are willing to pay the money these cars should deserve. Back in 1985 the 442 was overshadowed by the Buick GN (and rightfully so as the GN was the faster car, but the 442 wasn't too far off in '85 ET was 16.1 for the GN vs 16.9 for the 442). Another huge factor in these cars staying in the basement in terms of value for the foreseeable future is the Baby Boomer Generation (Guys over 55) don't consider these "Real 442s", the bulk of those guys just don't see the value in any of the limited production Gbodies (e.g. 442, H/O, SS, 2+2 etc.) especially the guys who can spent $30K+ on a hobby car. The G body is looked down upon as a smogged up car with a puny small block (exception goes to the Turbo Buicks). The bulk of younger guys (early 30s and under) also overlook the Gbodies, and see no value in limited production cars and view most of the cars as candidates for LS swapping only; and who in their right mind would swap a junkyard truck engine into a $25K car? Then there's the $25,000 for a 16 second car; who wants to pay that much money for, whats considered a dog slow car by modern standards (a 2020 Camry will out run it in the 1/4 by 2.5 secs)?

Expect to see the Muscle car values fall and fall hard over the next 18 months. The old guys are going to be dumping their classics to free up money to buy stocks at a reduced rate or just get cash so they can retire. The days of ridiculousness at Mecum and Barret-Jackson are over. And sadly if you want to get good money for any Gbody you better be prepared to wait a looong time.

P

Pettrix

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 8, 2019
Then there's the $25,000 for a 16 second car; who wants to pay that much money for, whats considered a dog slow car by modern standards (a 2020 Camry will out run it in the 1/4 by 2.5 secs)?

Expect to see the Muscle car values fall and fall hard over the next 18 months. The old guys are going to be dumping their classics to free up money to buy stocks at a reduced rate or just get cash so they can retire. The days of ridiculousness at Mecum and Barret-Jackson are over. And sadly if you want to get good money for any Gbody you better be prepared to wait a looong time.
I agree. With the COVID19 economic WORLD collapse, the prices of these vehicles will plummet. Even more desired 60's and 70's muscle cars will take a huge hit as even the most wealthy millionaires took a viscous beating in the market. Plus it's not over. The economic impact of this pandemic will last all year long, world wide, not just the USA.

Yeah, the show is over for the $100k muscle car prices and even for the above $26k price for a G Body car. Nobody is going to pay that in this economy. My guess vehicles like the above will drop down into the $10K range when all is said and done.

88hurstolds

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Why does everyone attribute price of a car with how fast it is... or why does everyone have a hard on to go fast?
Dig a little and get out from under the 'muscle car' rock and you'll see a lot of dog slow collector cars for more than this.
Price is in collectability, there are many collectors out there that have made a successful living who can afford a nice looking classy ride for this kind of money, if you want to go fast buy a beater and a junkyard LS and have at it :rolleyes:
I don't think there's one bone stock car out there that didn't ever cost a small mortgage payment new that was 'fast'... typically everything, even muscle cars of the 60's, had to be modified to be considered 'fast' in my book.

rogue_ryder

rogue_ryder

Greasemonkey
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
You're right, a good example is the Ferrari Daytona; a multi million dollar car that is slower than a 2020 Camry. BUT It's a Ferrari Daytona not a 1980s Oldsmobile.

The 442 back in 1964 was a Muscle Car and it sold because it had POWER and was fast for the time. That's the whole point of a "Muscle Car" it goes fast and has power, the 1980 442 was always supposed to be a performance car. In 1985 the 307 might look like the engine that powered the first 442 but it's a DOG, it was gutless in the 80s compared to the cars of the 60s and is comically slow by today's standards. The collectabilty of these cars is just not on the level of the 1960s cars and probably never will be.

They have some inherent collectablity due to the limited numbers and good styling; but 3000 is not really that low, these will never be 6 figure cars (not taking inflation into account). The GN and GNX got respect in the 1980s; these cars (442s) did not and the prices of GNs and especially GNXs reflect that. The rest of the field of "performance" Gbodies: H/O, 442, SS, 2+2 etc are like the Rodney Dangerfield of what should be collector cars; they just get no respect. Most people remember 80s American "performance" cars as being slow and poorly built, and I don't think we'll ever see these cars get out from under that shadow. The 1980s performance cars soured a lot of Americans and they went out and bought BMW 325is, Rabbit GTIs, and 16V Merc 190Es instead, because those cars were better handling, more comfortable, more reliable and faster.

As far as going fast goes; there's a lot of slow cars that are fun to drive; but a 442 isn't one of them. There's classics out there like MGs that are cheap, slow and hoot to drive, or even *gasp* a Miata with some sticky tires and coil overs can be fun as hell too.

A good reason not to buy a beater e.g. a crusty supreme and stuff an LS in it; is because you'll spend so much time and money to get that car built and at the end of the day it's still a crusty supreme that is worth the same money you paid for it. So many people think that a Junkyard LS swap can be done super cheap because you only paid $400 for a 200,000 mile 5.3. BUT that's just the beginning; there's a huge time investment plus a laundry list of parts that you need to get the thing inside the car. And once you start adding boost there goes that 2004R and puny 7.5 10bolt. I think every 2+2, H/O, 442, Monte SS etc., is the perfect starting point for a restomod for $5-$10K you can get a decent starting point to build a "Muscle Car" that will be faster and better handling than their 60s/70s Abody predecessors that had been selling for $30K+ for 1/2 the money. I think every 307 and 305 power plant should be recycled into REBAR. But that's just me, and I respect people that value originality; I just find it boring.

Last edited:
P

Pettrix

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 8, 2019
Rogue_Ryder said it best. The 80's 442 were slow as can be and a modern sedan will out perform it both in acceleration, handling, braking and ride comfort. My Mazda CX5 is faster and more fun to drive than an 80's 442. Plus I can get 30mpg with my Mazda.

So the vehicle really doesn't have anything going for it when it comes to demand. Asking $25k for a stock 80's 442 is ludicrous. Now with the COVID19, these vehicles will plummet in value and getting $10k for it will be the norm. If the 1985 442 had an LS swap, better trans, better differential, then it could be worth more money because it's going to be fast and fun to drive.

Like Rogue_Ryder said. A Mazda can be low HP and fun to drive but a 1985 Olds 442 was never known as a fun to drive vehicle in stock form. So where is the demand for it? To get smoked by a Toyota Camry is never fun.

Plus, it's FUN TO DRIVE A HIGH HP VEHICLE! Summit, Jegs, etc are around because people want to modify vehicles to go faster, not slower. The 1970 Chevelle 454 would not be in high demand if it had a 307 that made 180HP. It would be a turd. They call them "speed shops" not "slow shops". People want HP because it's FUN! Nobody modifies a vehicle to go slower.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck ConsolesDixie Restoration DepotMike's MontesP-S-TSouthside Machine PerformanceUMI Performance

contact[email protected]for info on becoming a sponsor