1985 Olds 442 - Console Lamp Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

SurferBill25

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 11, 2022
Can anyone tell me how the wire to the console lamp switch should be connected? Attaching a picture of the wire terminal and the switch. I've been told in the Olds / 442 FaceBook page that the wire should be connected to the long metal tab on the switch, but they believe that a rubber connector is missing.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 1985 Oldsmobile 442 Console Lamp Switch - With Wire #1.jpg
    1985 Oldsmobile 442 Console Lamp Switch - With Wire #1.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 67

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
There is a black wire with a female terminal that goes on the steel terminal on the plunger end of the switch light assembly for the ground.

The +12V orange wire with the male terminal goes in the plastic housing from the bulb end of the switch light assembly. There is a catch this is not a removeable connector like the other one it does not just slide in and out it has to be removed with a tool. If you try to remove it without the tool breakage is the likely outcome.

With out pictures from other angles I cannot tell if the housing is broken or still useable.

New switch light assembly available here.
https://www.lectriclimited.com/console-compartment-light-switch-105835

1985 Oldsmobile 442 Console Lamp Switch .jpg

SurferBill25

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 11, 2022
There is a black wire with a female terminal that goes on the steel terminal on the plunger end of the switch light assembly for the ground.

The +12V orange wire with the male terminal goes in the plastic housing from the bulb end of the switch light assembly. There is a catch this is not a removeable connector like the other one it does not just slide in and out it has to be removed with a tool. If you try to remove it without the tool breakage is the likely outcome.

With out pictures from other angles I cannot tell if the housing is broken or still useable.

New switch light assembly available here.
https://www.lectriclimited.com/console-compartment-light-switch-105835

View attachment 208803
Thanks very much ElCam!! Very helpful! I guess the black wire must still be inside the bottom of the console somewhere. Attaching two more pictures of the switch. It doesn't look as if it is damaged anywhere, but if you see any damage from these angles, please let me know.

Do you know what the tool is that is needed to open the switch to reattach the wire? I'm doubting that GM dealers would have it.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• 1985 Oldsmobile 442 Console Lamp Switch #1.jpg
    1985 Oldsmobile 442 Console Lamp Switch #1.jpg
    431.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 1985 Oldsmobile 442 Console Lamp Switch #2.jpg
    1985 Oldsmobile 442 Console Lamp Switch #2.jpg
    512.7 KB · Views: 71

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
You don't need a tool to put it in just to remove it.

Should slide in the side with the hole in it where you can see the brass from the bulb. It does appear to be intact. It will only lock in one way you might have to turn it over if it doesn't lock in the first try.

SurferBill25

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 11, 2022
Thanks very much ElCam!! Very helpful! I guess the black wire must still be inside the bottom of the console somewhere. Attaching two more pictures of the switch. It doesn't look as if it is damaged anywhere, but if you see any damage from these angles, please let me know.

Do you know what the tool is that is needed to open the switch to reattach the wire? I'm doubting that GM dealers would have it.

Thanks again!
Took another look at the switch, and think that, based on your comments, I figured it out! I think that the positive wire connector simply slides into the slot that I have highlighted in the first picture attached here. And then the second picture shows the slot throough which a small screwdriver can be inserted to depress the side of the J-hook on the connector to release it from the housing. Pretty sure that will do it! Now I just need to take off, or loosen, the console to locate the negative wire, and then slide the wires up through the console to attach to the switch onceit is in place.

Thanks again very much! And for the link to a vendor for the switch. Chris on the Olds / 442 Facebook page was looking for a source.

Attachments

• 1985 Oldsmobile 442 Console Lamp Switch - Showing Slot For Release Of Connector.jpg
    1985 Oldsmobile 442 Console Lamp Switch - Showing Slot For Release Of Connector.jpg
    380.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 1985 Oldsmobile 442 Console Lamp Switch - Showing Slot Insertion Of Positive Wire Connector.jpg
    1985 Oldsmobile 442 Console Lamp Switch - Showing Slot Insertion Of Positive Wire Connector.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 65

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
The corner of the open leg is what holds it in. you slide it in it goes past a little protrusion inside the slot that compresses it slightly, when it passes the protrusion it springs back and holds the terminal in.

There is a special tool but a jewelers screwdriver or eyeglass screwdriver will usually suffice. All you are doing it compressing that free floating leg in just a little so it will clear the protrusion. Push it in and pull the wire out at the same time.

442 con light.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor