442 1985 Oldsmobile 442 rear glass lower molding help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jmac

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 17, 2015
McKees Rocks Pa.
I removed this rear panel to paint not knowing that these clips were different to work with I need somebody that went through this to give me some hints on how to reinstall
20200206_122841 (2) - Copy.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
A tad tricky is what it is. You have two bottom pieces that sorta slide together in the middle. But they also fit over the bottoms of the side pieces. The key is to be able to do it without chipping the new paint.

I would wait until your paint fully cures if it hasn't already and then use a low-tack masking tape to tape some protective paper around the area to help prevent nicking the paint. That's just what I would do.

You and a friend should be able to put that bottom trim in place and start snapping it down in place. It's hard to see how your umbrella clips are mounted.
Should have 8 clips that look like this. The first clip in the pic below is how it is orientated when you're standing behind the car and looking at it installed with the ends pointing up, but you can't see much but the center tip sticking up when the panel is in place.
640x480_Erics%20Pix%20865.jpg

This is looking up from the bottom of the panel. The clips slide over the edge with the umbrella part ending up in an "upside down" position. More like a "W" shape.

2012-12-21092236.jpg

Another angle looking up from the bottom of the panel. Clip just sits against the glass. And the back of the panel as you probably already found out, is screwed into the 3 black little plastic mounts. Which have slight adjustability to move it a tad closer to the back glass or further back for alignment.

2012-12-21092301.jpg

Reactions: 6 users

bob_t442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 2, 2011
southwest florida
I had fun with this 2 years ago when I had my 85 4-4-2 painted, and found all of my cilps disintegrated. I found replacements thru www.gbodyparts.com and found it easy to install the new clips on the tulip panel (panel between glass and deck lid) at the indentations in the panel. Attached are pictures of the tulip panel and the clip installs on the panel after painting in Saddle Bronze and prior to reinstall.

IMGP0176.JPG IMGP0177.JPG IMGP0178.JPG IMGP0179.JPG IMGP0180.JPG IMGP0181.JPG

Reactions: 3 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I had fun with this 2 years ago when I had my 85 4-4-2 painted, and found all of my cilps disintegrated. I found replacements thru www.gbodyparts.com and found it easy to install the new clips on the tulip panel (panel between glass and deck lid) at the indentations in the panel. Attached are pictures of the tulip panel and the clip installs on the panel after painting in Saddle Bronze and prior to reinstall.

View attachment 137446 View attachment 137447 View attachment 137448 View attachment 137449 View attachment 137450 View attachment 137451
Those are some nice reference pics of it. '81 Montes also used the same panel/clips/trim as the Cutlass. I have on off a Cutlass to replace the incorrect '82-'88 piece that replaced my rotten original.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor