1985 TPI ECU help

Status
Not open for further replies.

1320John$$$

G-Body Guru
Sep 18, 2019
Pennsylvania
I have a TPI unit off of an 85 iRoc Camaro I would like to stick on the 305 that’s in my 88 Monte Carlo running the fuel system from the tank forward I can manage and the installation the thing is I don’t want to use a painless wiring harness with prom type computer I wanna tunable EFI what have you guys used and recommend I do for the swap
Thanks
1320john

83StreetMachine

Master Mechanic
Dec 16, 2011
Central NJ
You can use a stand alone harness and use a new Holley ecu.

Reactions: 1 users

1320John$$$

G-Body Guru
Sep 18, 2019
Pennsylvania

Do I have to laptop tune or is it a self tuning

1320John$$$

G-Body Guru
Sep 18, 2019
Pennsylvania

It has a lot of features I’ll never use do know if they make a stripped down version and do I retain the mass air or does it get converted to something else

83StreetMachine

Master Mechanic
Dec 16, 2011
Central NJ
I honestly don't know for certain. More research would be needed.

Check out the Edelbrock Pro Flo as well. That's definitely self tuning.

Most self tuning systems run speed density not MAF

1320John$$$

G-Body Guru
Sep 18, 2019
Pennsylvania
I honestly don't know for certain. More research would be needed.

Check out the Edelbrock Pro Flo as well. That's definitely self tuning.

Most self tuning systems run speed density not MAF
I can window shop that’s the easy part I was hoping to find somebody on here that has used something that works and they love it recommend without doubt I’m real close to selling the TPI intake and pulling the trigger on a Holley 2300 sniper I just think the TPI units look so cool setting in the engine bay

Reactions: 1 user

xylorex

Master Mechanic
Aug 2, 2018
New Orleans, LA
Fast makes an auto learning ECU for what your trying to do:

I have one that I retrofitted to an old edelbrock proflo and it works great

Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Look to see what Ron Francis has.

Reactions: 1 user

1320John$$$

G-Body Guru
Sep 18, 2019
Pennsylvania
Fast makes an auto learning ECU for what your trying to do:

I have one that I retrofitted to an old edelbrock proflo and it works great
This is something I’m going to look into thank you

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I have a TPI unit off of an 85 iRoc Camaro I would like to stick on the 305 that’s in my 88 Monte Carlo running the fuel system from the tank forward I can manage and the installation the thing is I don’t want to use a painless wiring harness with prom type computer I wanna tunable EFI what have you guys used and recommend I do for the swap
Thanks
1320john
MegaSquirt 2 with a relay board. It's made for TPI and TBI. Extremely tuneable , but definitely need a laptop. $700-800 in assembled versions (recommended) for everything you should need. We ran the system I'm describing on a 327 with TPI for years without and with a turbo, and for a single year with the Motown LS with multiport Edelbrock intake and factory 8 pin HEI. The setup is very straight forward. It will do everything that a TPI requires. If interested I can explain further - wiring it is quite simple - diagrams readily available in color. Support of the system is better than Holley's.

There are a couple of things that an MS2 does not do easily, such as swap to coil packs and go sequential injection, neither of which is needed for a basic factory TPI setup. There are no hidden fees or costs to the software. And it is very reliable.

I'm a believer in this stuff - a '78 280Z with a factory 280ZX turbo motor ran by an MS1 for past 3 years; '68 Austin Healey factory motor with Ninja TB with a Microsquirt (still working on car), MS2 is being installed back onto the 327 in '67 C20 - hopefully ready for spring or early summer, MS3X on Motown LS with turbo, multiport, coil packs, boost control, launch control, traction control, table switching for having multiple tunes loaded for different fuels running 2 fans, vacuum pump and meth injection for past two years.

All of these installed and tuned at 'the top of the hill'

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor