1985 with a 305 starts but then dies

Hedge

n00b
Mar 20, 2023
My El Camino was put away for the winter and I was getting it out for the spring and I went to start it and it ran for 3-5 seconds then it died. So far I've gotten new spark plugs, fuel filter, spark plug wires, and exhaust manifold gaskets. The carb is getting fuel but was wondering if it could be the something within the carb. This is the first time the cars been in winter as it was in Texas and Arizona for it's entire life and now it's in Illinois so just figured I'd ask here before I sink even more money into something that might not be the issue.

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
what carb? bowl floats? did you put fuel stabilizer in it for the winter? HOW did you verify carb is getting fuel?

Hedge

n00b
Mar 20, 2023
what carb? bowl floats? did you put fuel stabilizer in it for the winter? HOW did you verify carb is getting fuel?
OEM carb, no fuel stabilizer, and after I put the new fuel filter in I started it it died I took it out to verify I put it in the right way and the fuel was pressurized as I was taking out the filter so I'd assume that means fuel is getting to the carb

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Its either flooding or running out of fuel. Quite possible the fuel gunked up in the carb over the winter.

Reactions: 1 user

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Thanks, I'll take it apart and clean it to see if that works
If you have decent known pressure, then it's either the carb, distributor or a vacuum leak.

You said, that you did exhaust manifold gaskets, was the carb or intake ever done- check those bolts as well- but if it has sat over winter, and now the problems have happened?

Then it shouldn't be much that needs to get it in good running order again 💯💯

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
what kind of fuel filter? one of those porous metal ones where the fuel line connects to the carb?

have you tried starting with the line discon'd and pumping into a cup to see what kind of pressure you're getting?

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Ethanol laced fuel turns to a powder when it evaporates. Clogged my carb up. Looked like someone poured sugar in it.

Last edited:

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
check your choke. remove the air cleaner lid and make sure the choke closes when the gas pedal is depressed. this sets the choke. now start the engine, or have someone start it while observing the choke blade. once started, the choke should open to let air in. you can manually adjust this the blade during warm up to see if it needs more air or not. if the choke doesn't close, you have a choke stat problem. if the blade doesn't crack open when running, you have a "choke pull off" or also called "vacuum break" problem.
good luck

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

daufenbm

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 21, 2023
My El Camino was put away for the winter and I was getting it out for the spring and I went to start it and it ran for 3-5 seconds then it died. So far I've gotten new spark plugs, fuel filter, spark plug wires, and exhaust manifold gaskets. The carb is getting fuel but was wondering if it could be the something within the carb. This is the first time the cars been in winter as it was in Texas and Arizona for it's entire life and now it's in Illinois so just figured I'd ask here before I sink even more money into something that might not be the issue.
New vs old fuel. Also right amount. Some areas down there are different elevation lead to rich/lean situation.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor