1986 Bucket Seat Exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 29, 2018
I am very interested in exchanging my current bench seat for power buckets seats for both the driver and passenger sides. I have found ones that I like but they appear to be to wide on the base to fit. Does anyone have any recommendations or expereince in doing this. can you please make any reccomendations to me ?

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
Are the seats out of a newer car I assume? The brackets for putting any newer seat will need modification(s) and some custom work to make bolt in. Cutting/bolting/welding will be what it takes, some combination of those.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If you have a factory bench then there might not be inner mounts to actually mount buckets unless you actually have 60/40 seats.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I was checking into late 90s Cadillac Eldorado (the small years) . Real nice seats, both power and seem to be a good size. I couldn't find a nice enough set when I was looking, ended up with 96 Camaro leather w/power driver that are PERFECT

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
The bench and buckets both share the outer mount bracket floor mounting locations. You will lack the inner bracket floor mounts. If your seats have a different geometry, this does give you the freedom to put the mounts where you need them, but you will need to fabricate ones that make the seats level and parallel to the floor.

BOXCARS

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2017
If you have a factory bench then there might not be inner mounts to actually mount buckets unless you actually have 60/40 seats.

What 565bb said is true. But if you don't have the 60/40s you can purchase the mounts from g-body parts or other vendors, and this will make your seats level.

MartellEST1986

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 2, 2019
Woodbridge,Va
I had a bench seat in my 78 El camino, found a set of buckets from a 86 Monte Carlo. Probably the worst move. I hated them, and at that point already sold my bench. I love the big comfy couch feel.

BOXCARS

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2017
I had a bench seat in my 78 El camino, found a set of buckets from a 86 Monte Carlo. Probably the worst move. I hated them, and at that point already sold my bench. I love the big comfy couch feel.

That's why I got rid of my buckets in my Grand National. Not really comfortable and easily soiled due to light colored cloth inserts. I was able to substitute 95 Buick Park Avenue Leather seats in their place.

Pict301.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor