1986 buick regal limited drive shaft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mont

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 6, 2016
Hello everyone, I'm new to this site as well as the gbody building.

I have a 1986 buick regal. I got it without a motor and transmission. I'm putting a chevy 350 and a 350 turbo transmission both stock nothing crazy just want to get it running. I need a drive shaft, I've looked everywhere and called all over. I have been told I can take it the drive shaft from a gbody monte, cutlass, or anther regal and be fine but I've also been told that I need one built because there isn't one that will work for me.

Any suggestions or past experiences please help. Thanks in advance!

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings Mont & all; Check out my for sale post, I have two drive shafts for sale. You didn't mention your rear diff, 7.5 or 8.5? My OE shaft out of my 9C1 is 51 inches center to center & the Colman aluminum unit is 48-7/8 inches. Maybe both are too short if you are running the 7.5 diff? Bob Jr.

Mont

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 6, 2016
Greetings Mont & all; Check out my for sale post, I have two drive shafts for sale. You didn't mention your rear diff, 7.5 or 8.5? My OE shaft out of my 9C1 is 51 inches center to center & the Colman aluminum unit is 48-7/8 inches. Maybe both are too short if you are running the 7.5 diff? Bob Jr.

I am going to check it out when I get off and see which rear end I have because i have no idea which rear end is in it because the one guy I talked to told me it didn't matter lol, Thank you

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Welcome! If the one vanrah has won't work for you I have several stock driveshafts.

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
The difference in length between the driveshaft required for the 7.5 & 8.5 is approximately one inch. The 7.5 inch differential was configured with the majority of Gbody's.

The 8.5 differential was shipped mostly in the Turbo Regals & Olds 442's. Your regal would have had a 7.5 differential from the factory if it was a non-turbo regal. I'd be surprised if the PO would have sold you a 'roller' with an 8.5 installed because they are more desirable. With this in mind a 7.5 differential will hold up fine for a 'street cruiser'.

Good Luck.

Mont

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 6, 2016
Welcome! If the one vanrah has won't work for you I have several stock driveshafts.

Thank you, please message me prices and things I put the rest of my parts on hold because they said I can't get the car running with out the drive shaft.

Mont

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 6, 2016
The difference in length between the driveshaft required for the 7.5 & 8.5 is approximately one inch. The 7.5 inch differential was configured with the majority of Gbody's.

The 8.5 differential was shipped mostly in the Turbo Regals & Olds 442's. Your regal would have had a 7.5 differential from the factory if it was a non-turbo regal. I'd be surprised if the PO would have sold you a 'roller' with an 8.5 installed because they are more desirable. With this in mind a 7.5 differential will hold up fine for a 'street cruiser'.

Good Luck.

Thank you so much I thought that and I did read that the GN and 442 came with the 8.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor