1986 Buick Regal lower speedometer cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBB>SBC

n00b
Dec 30, 2011
I have a 1986 Buick Regal with a :roll: , Chevy 350 and TH350 trans. I just picked up the car a couple days ago and the speedometer doesn't work. I took the cable off the trans to check operation and nothing. Then I noticed its a two piece cable.

I separated the cable halves and the upper section of cable works fine, the core of the lower cable has broken in half. So I figure no problem, let me head down to autozone and pick up new cable. The lower cable they sell is about 40" too short. I really don't want to have to take apart the whole instrument cluster to replace with a one piece cable if I can just buy the lower that takes 30 seconds to put in. Is there anyone that sells it anymore?

MUSCLEALMIGHTY

Apprentice
May 23, 2011
CT
My Malibu's speedometer, hasn't worked since the day I got it! I like to drive my car hard. I haven't had any reason to rush to fix the issue. Maybe one day soon........

jmt455

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2011
SE Michigan
I have ordered some parts from GMPartsDirect and been happy with what I received.
I ran a search for "speedometer cable" under 1986 Buick Regal and got this list of available options:

speedometer cable assy, 275 mm 84-87 $38.40 $19.97
Electrical - Instruments & gauges - speedometer cable assy

speedometer cable assy, 1800 mm 84-87 $28.14 $28.14

speedometer cable assy, 2125 mm 84-87 $78.44 $40.79

In each case, the first price is the list price and the second price is the GMPartsDirect selling price.

Hopefully, one of those lengths is what you need.

You can run part searches by year/make/model from this page:
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/catalog/frameset.cfm

HTH
JoeT

1983regal

Master Mechanic
May 2, 2011
St. Louis MO.
Unless you have cruise the cable should be one piece from the cluster to the trans. With cruise there is a cable from the cluster to the cruise module then one from the module to the trans.

SBB>SBC

n00b
Dec 30, 2011
This car was equipped with cruise control but somewhere along the 350 swap the previous owner probably ditched the cruise control. I have a short upper speedometer cable connected directly to a longer (+60") lower speedometer cable

1983regal

Master Mechanic
May 2, 2011
St. Louis MO.
I would measure the total length and replace it with a one piece cable.

efigp83

Apprentice
Sep 22, 2011
Tinley Park, IL
check out rock auto for the one piece cable. mine just melted b/c of hitting the exhaust and they had it in stock.

jmt455

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2011
SE Michigan
1983regal said:
I would measure the total length and replace it with a one piece cable.

X2!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor