1986 cutlass trunk jammed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldsdank

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 15, 2009
well i dont know if its actually jammed but ive lossed the key to open the trunk. and cant seem to find a trunk release button anywhere on the car. does tis year cutlass have no button for the trunk? if not wht other options do i have to get it open?

thanks

jatguit

Greasemonkey
Mar 27, 2007
Trunk release buttons where an OPTION only. Most cars did not have them, unless you have a top of the line model or you ordered special packages with the car.

If it has a trunk opener, it is in the glove box. Open the glove box and if you see a button on the inside edge you are good.

Other options. Go in through the back seat.
Lift bottom cushion out and then unbolt the back cushion which is attached on the bottom and lift or bang it UP and out.
You may have to remove the sound deadner/trunk seperator and then squeeze through the braces.
You can then use pliers to grab and turn the lock rod that goes from the back of the trunk lock to the catch mechnism in the trunk.

good luck.

There are really no other options then to go in through the back seat. If you try to take the trunk lock out from outside of the car you will most certainly destroy your trunk to do it.

I suppose you could call a lock smith and see what options they give you.

Also, If you know what dealer the car originated from, you MIGHT be able to get the key codes from them and cut new keys, although given the age and such it may yeild nothing.

Oldsdank

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 15, 2009
thanks i never knew it was an option. i wondered because my 79 cutlass has the trunk release and its visible as soon as the glove box is opened. looks like ill be getting in through the backseat. thanks again

CuttySupreme1984

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 4, 2009
Altamonte Springs, FL
My car was broken into a couples months ago and they yanked out the trunk lock. There was very little damage. I wouldn't recommend it if you've never done that sort of thing but it can be done. So yea, a locksmith would be the way to go. They yanked the driver door lock and the trunk lock so I replaced all 3 locks to avoid having 4 keys. Now I just have 3 lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor