1986 Hurst Olds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Black hides it well. It is tough for me to sh*t all over this given we are still looking for another 91 or 92 Z28 (scoops, skirts, blisters, pedestal spoiler, etc) and I drive a faux-GTO Lemans wagon. But, it isn't to die for from a styling point.

Still cool to see.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
2kcs9p.jpg

My apologies to Cher for this....(ok, not really)

If I could turn back time
If I could make them wait
Doc would take back those kits made for
The '88s.....
If I could stop those cars
from being made for you
Then they'd make Hurst/Oldses like they used to do
If I could turn back time....

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
Back in the 80's into the early 90's you could open any car magazine and find body kits for almost any car. I do remember when the Hurst kit came out and my opinion it was a joke. Doc and Mr Gasket was just looking to make a quick buck with these kits. Very surprised that GM didn't sue them for using the OLDS name or did they. Maybe thats why only less than 150 kits where sold. The last Hurst/Olds was 1984 not 1988 with the kit. It is nice to see a prototype from Doc being preserved.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I want to see more of that olds S10!
1539868833882.png

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
The last Hurst/Olds was 1984 not 1988 with the kit.
Try telling that to the H/OCA.
What about the 1977 Hurst Olds? That's also considered a Hurst Olds as well even though it was a kit car too since GM gave the thumbs down...
GM only made ONE Hurst Olds, the '79, all the rest were modified by an external outfit such as Demmer, Hurst Performance/Dick Chrysler, Cars & Customs and in the case of the '88 Hurst Olds the car owner to make it into whatever they wanted. Also, VIN didn't define a Hurst Olds, some years there were no specialty bases either, 442's or Cutlass 'S' models were modified.
Like all other Hurst's this was design by Hurst and is recognized as a Hurst Olds... just because dealerships weren't selling them doesn't mean it's not a Hurst Olds.
Heck, some of their Pontiacs were never sold at Dealerships but are those not Hurst vehicles?

Surprised to see this much open negativity... personally I think the '69 Hurst Olds looks like garbage with that god awful hood scoop but I don't jump on every '69 Hurst Olds thread being a dick about it.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 user

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
Try telling that to the H/OCA.
What about the 1977 Hurst Olds? That's also considered a Hurst Olds as well even though it was a kit car too since GM gave the thumbs down...
GM only made ONE Hurst Olds, the '79, all the rest were modified by an external outfit such as Demmer, Hurst Performance/Dick Chrysler, Cars & Customs and in the case of the '88 Hurst Olds the car owner to make it into whatever they wanted. Also, VIN didn't define a Hurst Olds, some years there were no specialty bases either, 442's or Cutlass 'S' models were modified.
Like all other Hurst's this was design by Hurst and is recognized as a Hurst Olds... just because dealerships weren't selling them doesn't mean it's not a Hurst Olds.
Heck, some of their Pontiacs were never sold at Dealerships but are those not Hurst vehicles?

Surprised to see this much open negativity... personally I think the '69 Hurst Olds looks like garbage with that god awful hood scoop but I don't jump on every '69 Hurst Olds thread being a dick about it.
Aren't you one of the advisor for H/OCA for the 88 H/O? Well I will tell you, cars with those kits on it are not Hurst/Olds stop misleading the public. GM had no partnership with Doc or Hurst in 1988. The only partnership that Hurst had with GM/Olds was from 68-84 with there own designated codes at the factory.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Aren't you one of the advisor for H/OCA for the 88 H/O? Well I will tell you, cars with those kits on it are not Hurst/Olds stop misleading the public. GM had no partnership with Doc or Hurst in 1988. The only partnership that Hurst had with GM/Olds was from 68-84 with there own designated codes at the factory.
We could quibble and parse factual details all day. The H/OCA did allow the cars with kits to be recognized as Hurst/Olds. And while I personally am not a huge fan of the kit, I do go along with the H/OCA decision. It does have H/O roots and designed to fit Oldsmobiles. The 23 and Me swab came back and said so!

I mean, they allowed a plain old 85 442 with a repro FE3X body kit on it in the club, so I guess anything is possible. As far as H/O lineage, I'm thinking it has about 1/1,024 H/O bloodline in it if any at all. :)

Everyone's got an opinion I suppose.

• Haha

michmalibuman

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2017
Now, before we all completely melt down about how gawky the body kit looks on the car, we should reflect back on the time period this was. Personally, I like the clean look of a plain Cutlass. This kit turned out to be not all that and a bag of chips over the years. There were two versions of this kit, IIRC. One made in Michigan and the other in Arizona. Can't recall which kit was made first, but it was deemed the "better quality" of the two different locations.

But look at GM's lineup in the 80s. Designs were usually reflecting signs of the times a few years or thereabouts prior to the release year of said design. If you recall, EVERYONE was getting into the air dam skirts and crap in the mid-80s. This kit, like Doc Watson himself, had gone above that line of subtle thinking to come out with something more outrageous. I have to admit, the front air dams on the 83/84 Hurst/Olds looked about as far as I would have taken things. The air dam was noticeable, sure, but not too much to where it didn't grind directly against the attempt to blend.

So in a way, this "look" was more along the sign of the times. Back in the 80s, it really didn't look all that terrible when you compared it with other offerings. In fact, there were a few cars that even stock started getting more bold and elaborate with their skirting. Namely the F-body Camaro and Firebird. The 82 Camaro Z28 came out with fairly thin body skirting and squarish nose. But by the late 80s, that skirting got bigger and goofier. This kit follows that line of thinking.

However, time has not been kind to the extra cladding on cars as a good look for them. So chalk this one up as a time-era piece, and then we can move on to something that doesn't stop the clock of auto design.
How about the dealer built Malibu M-80.:cool:
1980-chevrolet-malibu-m801-640x413.jpg

Attachments

• 1980-chevrolet-malibu-m803-640x430.jpg
    1980-chevrolet-malibu-m803-640x430.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 177
  • 1980-chevrolet-malibu-m80-640x276.jpg
    1980-chevrolet-malibu-m80-640x276.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 182
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor